1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Lane Poor Pickups - Info Wanted

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ohick2012, Feb 26, 2014.

1. ohick2012

ohick2012

Hi, I have an old bass of mine that was once fitted with Lane Poor pickups.
    I know nothing about them apart from they were bought for me as a gift in around 2005.

I was wondering if anyone here knew something about them,their history and maybe what they might be worth?
    I've attached a couple of pictures.

http://imgur.com/Wox0clY
    http://imgur.com/U9fG9Jv

Thanks in advance! :) [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    I can't give you details about these pickups, but I have a similar set in one of my basses. They sound great. Worth? I'd guess $300-350 for the set.

3. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

If these were given to you as a gift, then you have good taste in friends!

I would agree with cybersnyder's estimate. That seems to be a good price for a set in that condition. I haven't seen very many of that specific size. By the dimensions I would guess that they would be the soapbar series, with model names such as "M4.5N", "M4.5W" or "M4.5HB".

The specific type of armature inside each pickup can be determined from the model name, which would be inscribed on the back or perhaps written on an adhesive label. If you feel comfortable removing the pickups to look at the back, I'm sure we could figure out which armatures were inside. If not, you can use magnetic paper to look at the pattern of the magnetic fields, and we could make an educated guess.

I maintain the (outdated) Lane Poor community archive website, accessible at lanepoor.net. Legacy Pickups has also restarted Lane Poor's old business which ended in 2000-2001 and their website at lanepoor.com also has information about the pickup armatures.

In addition to the web references, I also have some hard-copy papers buried somewhere (in a safe place) which go into more detail about the armatures and how they should sound. Also, some enterprising bassists have dissected their own Lane Poor pickups for further study of the internals.

In any case, the pickups are definitely valuable, and I'm sure you'd find a willing buyer in not much time at all. In fact I might even have a bass that could accept those pickups. :)

One point of caution: if you sell them, you might regret doing so later. I had an opportunity to sell one of my old Lane Poor pickups (for dissection as mentioned above) some years ago, and even though the money was good, I still wish I had it with me now.

4. ohick2012

ohick2012

thanks a lot for the information! you've been really helpful, great responses.

to be perfectly honest, as much as i love bass i think they might have to be sold and hopefully to someone that will get more use out of them than myself these days!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I bought some Lane Poors last year, they were a 6 string set. I paid $220ish with shipping. Mine were also "famous", as in they could be seen on MTV and was on a platinum record. Just to give you an estimate on price.