1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

LANE POOR PICKUPS!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by azian32, Sep 28, 2012.

1. azian32

azian32

Hey Guys
    So im looking into buying a lane poor MM pickup. Whats your thoughts? worth the money etc?
  2. line6man

line6man

For what tonal application?
  3. azian32

azian32

I want a really fat punchy tone. Like fleas modulus bass.
  4. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

Good luck getting one.
  5. eyecandy

eyecandy

those pickups are like dinosaurs...
  6. dannster

dannster Supporting Member

7. azian32

azian32

You can still get them, iv been emailing the guy.
    But he talks as a seller not an adviser... Which is why I'm asking for opinions :)
    What do you guys think??
    If I got them with an active pre amp will it sound similar to a modulus? Nice warm poppy tone etc.

Thanks heaps again for everybody help :)
  8. MysticMichael

MysticMichael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

I can't attest to the quality of Legacy pickups, having never tried them. But just for the record, in case you should find them inadequate to the task - or simply unavailable - for a "fat, punchy tone" from a MusicMan-style pickup they're by no means the only game in town.

Nordstrand & Delano both carry some first-rate MM replacements, along with Seymour Duncan and several others. Not cheap - but at least for the Nordstrands & Delanos, they're worth every penny... :meh:

MM
  9. eyecandy

eyecandy

if you do have a musicman stingray, well I believe that would be the best preamp there is, well as for flea, I believe his bass has an aguilar opb-3? not quite sure though...
    as for after market preamps Duncans and East are highly recommended..
  10. azian32

azian32

Well I don't have a musicman stingray...
    I have a musicman SUB 4 Bass, (the old discontinued model, not the new knock off ones). Im pretty sure the pickups and pre-amp in it are a generic style made for that model bass :/

Yeah he uses a Aguilar OBP-1 preamp with lane poor pickups. (from what this site says Aguilar OBP-1 preamp) http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-pla...ili-peppers-fleas-bass-gear-rig-and-equipment

Thanks heaps everyone for the suggestions i shall look up all those :D
  11. cricketfever32

cricketfever32

Well I can't attest to their sound, but I had ordered and paid for pickups over a month ago and I have not heard from them since, I've been trying to email them for the past week but I have not gotten a single reply. I'd be careful with the company if I were you.
  12. azian32

azian32

Well from what i know it takes them 3-4 weeks to make them after you pay and then it takes another 2-3 weeks for shipping...

But thanks i shall take care :) Im really considering SGD SidewinderSeries 4 Bass Pickups Now since their is a great review on here about them :)
  13. Blu bro

Blu bro

well i orded one of the new Legacy pick ups and just put it in my Modulus last night. Freakin love it. It is def phat and punchy and very precise in its sound. Could not recommend it enough. And fairly simple to install too.
    I am one happy bass player atm and cant wait to gig with it.
  14. azian32

azian32

Ooooooo how exciting!!!! I ordered mine the other day.... Now to wait a month >.< so worth it but. Did you use a preamp? If so what one?

I also got me some delano pickups which just arrived I'm excited to test out on my pj bass.
  15. Outlaw_son

Outlaw_son Supporting Member

Would like to know what you guys think of the Legacy pickup. Can you achieve Fleas Tone? Got a Stingray and I want to try it out on. Thanks