laptop

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jamersonburton, Aug 17, 2013.

1. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

hey guys. so I'm looking forward to purchasing a laptop, mainly for office work, but i was wondering if you guys think it would be acceptable (regarding memory, Ram, CPU... etc...) for basic recording purposes as I am not very knowledgeable with the techy side of things. Here are the specs:

Acer Aspire S-3 Ultrabook
    Intel Core i3-3217U processor

4GB DDR3 RAM

500GB hard drive + 20GB solid-state drive

My setup right now is very basic but it works:
    Bass/Guitar--->line 6 ux1 ---> podfarm---> Riffworks T4

Would latency and clicks/pops really be that different from what i have now? Currently: Intel Core 2 at 2.4 2.2 Ghz. This is i3 at only 1.8ghz. Recording is NOT for professional use, just a hobby.

I've also heard the Podfarm 2.5 is actually very "generous" on CPU usage if that makes any sense.
    Thanks!

:bassist:

2. matey

matey

You can get a cool app for your iPad

3. darius8

darius8

The Intel Core i3-3217U processor is only 1.8 GHz. You'll experience drop-outs, clicks and pops and a lot of excess latency with a slow processor. I would go with a core i5 or i7.

4. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

I get that from my current "laptop" as well :banghead: i dont remember the numbers but the acer is a signficiant step up so does that mean i'll experience less than i do currently?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JakeAndAirwaves

JakeAndAirwaves

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.8GHz. That's the generation before the i3/5/7 and I don't notice any issues with latency or clicks/pops. That said, 1.8GHz wouldn't cut it.

7. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Thanks for all the advice! Would latency and clicks/pops really be that different from what i have now? Currently: Intel Core 2 at [DEL]2.4 [/DEL] 2.2 Ghz. This is i3 at only 1.8ghz. Recording is NOT for professional use, just a hobby.

I've also heard the Podfarm 2.5 is actually very "generous" on CPU usage if that makes any sense.

EDIT: this laptop is what i need for all other applications, just wondering about recording/podfarm for convenient dorm room usage.

8. 3506string

3506string

Some tips for the Win laptop users doing recording.

-Make sure you disable all system sounds

-Turn wifi off

-Turn your power settings to high performance or whatever it is on you computer

-If you think your man enough turn windows updates off(Probably the single best thing i've done on all my computers)

-Turn off all windows visual effects(it will revert to a win 98 type look)

-Try to be sure there are no programs that are set to auto update.

-I don't run security software but it may help to disable while recording.

All of this isn't necessary, but I've used this on both my laptops when doing muti-track recording and my system is rock solid. I tend to keep my computers lean and mean as far as software. Just from experience the less clutter you keep on win based systems the better they run.

9. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

That makes sense, thanks!