1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Laptop

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by blow66, Feb 23, 2013.

1. blow66

blow66

:bassist: Hi my question relates to bass sound from laptop pc .
    What is the best way to achieve a good bass sound from a laptops?
    Is it the make of laptop or is it speakers used to plug into it ?
    I really like the look of this site it has a familiar layout.
    I will spend some time on here i.e when on the pc and not playing my yamaha rb360a and Marshall mb30.:bassist:

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    It's the speakers. Even the cheapest laptops have remarkably high quality audio.

3. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

Ime built in laptop speakers are next to useless for listening/monitoring bass. I'd recommend getting some external speakers or some nice headphones. Hope that helps.

4. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Get good headphones, I recommend Grado SR80i. I use mine for 30+ hours a week and absolutely love them.

lowsound

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    as far as getting external speakers goes, skip the three piece dealies supposedly made for computers and laptops. used active studio monitors are pretty cheap and sound way better.

7. Saxn

Saxn

Yep. Cans or monitors are the way to go.

8. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Ear buds. I keep a set rolled up on my computer desk. They sound fine and don't take up any space. Yes, there are those here who will say that not using over-the-ear headphones will make you turn into a toad, but it's just not so. Yes, you can go out and spend 40 gagillion dollars on the "right" kind to impress someone else. But if you just want to be able to hear some bass through your computer without getting too complicated, go get some buds right off the shelf (or even cheaper online) and be done with it.

9. Saxn

Saxn

Well, I guess it's all in what you're looking for. Yes, you will hear the bass in a set of (even the cheapest) earbuds, but they're not going to come close to a good set of over-ears. Not trashing the earbud idea at all, but there will be a big difference in the sound... I think, though, that if you get the right buds you can be turned into a newt rather than a toad :D

FWIW a fantastic set of earphones can be had right out of the box in the $75 range - Fostex T50RP! Not only that, but if you are a little bit handy and don't mind voiding warranties those cans can be turned into a KILLER set of phones with a few modifications.

10. blow66

blow66

Thanks all ; it seems heasphones are the way to go and i already have a good set of closed bass enhancing ones so that is what i will do.
    My plan is to watch speedybass club videos as my pc is in a little corner and i cannot get close enough to the screen fo the videos to be at all useful.
    Add to that i recently got wi-fi so i can now play bass and get online.
    I will let you know how i get on.
    Be seeing you
    Neil

11. Saxn

Saxn

blow66, do you plan on playing along with those vids or are you just wanting to hear the bass parts on them? If you will be playing you will likely find it useful to find a way to mix the signals together so you can hear them both. First rig I ever used I plugged directly into the comp's mic jack... the sound was abysmal, but it got the job done!