1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Larry Hartke is the man!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Spent, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

I know this has come up before, but I gotta say it again. There's nothing like a guy who stands behind his product. I had two speakers, in two different Hartke cabinets go on me. One was a brand new HyDrive and the the other a used 410XL.

Keeping it short, but in a nutshell I don't play loud or in a loud band, the amps were rated at or below cabs ratings and I did not poke the speakers with carrots or any other produce item. In 25+ years I've only blown one other speaker and that was many years ago when I did play in a ridiculously loud band.

OK, now on with the story. I got the HyDrive from MF and they threw in gold coverage. When I called them, no problem, they set me up for a pickup and repair. It'll be done in a few weeks, Weeks!! I gig every other weekend and have four gigs this month alone. So I call Samson. Same thing, no problem, just send the speaker back and I'll have a new one in a few weeks. Again, I don't want to be without a cab for several weeks. Nobody's fault, I get it, I'm not their only customer. Now, before someone chimes in with the "why don't you have a back up" thing, I do, but it's my 410XL and it has a blown speaker. When I called Samson to buy another they were out of stock. They suggested gunk and it's actually held so far (I don't play loud, so I'm not over extruding the cone), but I don't feel confident using it at a gig in that condition. So, per someone's suggestion I called Larry directly to see if he might be able to help. I told him the story of both cabs, and he was genuinely concerned. A couple of days later I get an email from him, expect a package shortly. Today a box arrived with replacement speakers for both cabs, just in time for my gig. Larry is the man!

2. Flatbass

Flatbass

Awesome story!

Dealing with big companies after a purchase is usually a pain, but Hartke seems to be a huge breath of fresh air.

Can anyone tell if Hartke's customer service is the same outside of the US?

3. Lo-E

Lo-E

Larry is a really nice guy. Very down to Earth and very accessible. While I've never been the biggest fan of his product lines, I respect him and, therfore, his company a great deal. He is 100% for real.

4. Cirk

Cirk

Precisely why I recommended his amps last night to a guy who wants to learn how to play.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Unacceptable! These cut-out problems have to be..........Oh sorry wrong thread!

7. Flatbass

Flatbass

Same here. Never been a fan of the ubiquitous HA3500 and VX410 I encounter in rehearsal studios everywhere, but the LH1000 and Hydrive series have made me turn my head.

Also, Hartke deserves some credit for getting some basic engineering things right with the LH-series:

1. The air flow goes from front to back. This is how all rack-mountable amps should be. Not sideways (SWR, Glock, ...), as hot air tends to stay inside the rack and get sucked back in. Or having a fan that sucks in air through the top (GK), keeping you from mounting anything deep right above the amp.

2. Handles on the front of the amp. Again, something all rack-mountable amps should have. I really helps when putting the amp in a rack, and it protects the knobs when attaching the rack's front cover.

3. It has a limiter. Is there any reason not to have one? A lot of amps are going to be cranked. A lot of bass players need all the power they can get. I often find that I have to run amps without a limiter far below their maximum volume, because once in a long while I might play an accent that'll clip the power amp and send a harmful signal to the speakers.

All PA power amps have these features, so why can't bass amp manufacturers take note? Oh well, kudos to Hartke for getting it right.

Oh, and... 4. It's not bright yellow, orange, red, green or whatever. It looks classy and solid. This might be personal taste, though :)

8. tgriley62

tgriley62

I agree. Just got this setup last week:p

[​IMG]

9. ctufankjian

ctufankjian Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Unicornbass.se
    I met him at sam ash one time. He's a character for sure...and he's definitely the man.

10. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Was the 410XL under warranty? if not, what did the replacement driver cost?

11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

I told you that he'd be interested in hearing what you had to say.

Good to hear that he was able to help expedite the repair.

12. pica

pica

I've never had any contact with him but I love a company who's owner really seems to care about his customers. So hard to find these days. Kinda makes me want to buy a Hartke rig now.

13. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Sounds like classic Larry Hartke to me!

14. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

I love to hear about this stuff!

15. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

Similar story - I have an 1155 combo (3500 head with a 115+ a 5" midrange, both aluminum cone). I bought the amp used in like '92. Some years after that I noticed the 5" wasn't working. I called Hartke looking to buy one (not sure who I talked to) and they sent me one for free. This was on an amp that was long out of warranty that I bought used.

16. steveinohio

steveinohio Supporting Member

Great story! Good guy. Great company owner.

17. bobalu

bobalu

I have also had excellent customer service from Hartke for my LH500. The only other company that I've experienced such great service with is Mesa Boogie. These companies (and Larry of course) deserve kudos for standing behind their products after the sale. Certainly not a common thing to do in this day and age...........:scowl:

Aside from great tone, this is why I continue to buy their gear.

18. Cirk

Cirk

I bet Larry likes to read threads like this when he's having a rough day.

19. Moosehead1966

Moosehead1966

Since I bought my Fender Bassman 100t, I have considered buying Fender cabinet to match. No plans to do so as my Hydrive 410 is most awesome. Hey Larry, can I buy a black grill for the Hydrive? ;) Either way, kudos to Larry for the care and attention shown.

Marc

20. Flatbass

Flatbass

Maybe you can order a complete AK410 front and replace it with that?
    For cabinets, I (also?) prefer the 'black box'-look instead of the bright chrome shiny-ness.

21. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

The 410XL was not under warranty, I bought it used. In never would have even mentioned it to him except that it was the same speaker positions, bottom left, as the Hydrive. I told him that I tried to get a replacement for it, but they were out of stock, so I just went ahead and bought the Hydrive. I figured that is eventually get a replaciememt speaker and use the 410XL as a backup. He said he'd send me a replacement, at no charge, along with the HyDrive speaker. I reminded him that it was an old cab and he said he didn't care, he just wanted me to be happy with it.