Last min gig in Japan, no flight case

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Force, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Force

Force

G'day,

My band got offered a very last minute gig in Japan for next weekend just the other day and we've accepted it. I have no flight case for my bass and I don't think there's enough time to get one. Will it be safe enough to just use my regular case for now? We're flying from Australia by the way.

2. zaviere

zaviere

Well I'm no expert but if it were me, no way jose. Although if there was NO WAY of getting a flight case. I'd prolly pack that case TIGHT full of packing peanuts especially under the head stock. All it takes is one fall backwards or a good enough slam onto the back of the guitar and the neck could be badly damaged. And then maybe at least get a cr@pload of those fragile stickers that you put on mail packages and plaster them all over the case.

3. zaviere

zaviere

I'd also try to at least budget to rent a bass in case of worst case scenario.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Expectation Is The Root of All Suffering. Supporting Member

^ Yup. Rent a budget bass, and put a ton of insurance on it. Then set it up like you prefer and pack the crap out of it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I'd try to buy a used one when I reached Japan. Who knows? You might find a good deal. Could end up with something like a cool TYO Sadowsky, which I understand are badass.

7. codydang

codydang

I'm sorry, I just have to say, Japan!? That's awesome! I'm curious, how'd you guys get the gig?

8. MopHarris

MopHarris

I went over to Japan with the band last September, my advice is to buy one over there. I'm from Australia and it would've cost me around $350 in extra charges to take my bass over there.

Tokyo has this bomb-ass little district called Ochanomizu where you can get pretty much anything instrument related for a really really good price. You literally get out of the station and see something like 10 guitar shops on one street all competing for your Yen. I picked up a late 80's American Charvel Jackson PJ for like $300AU.

I packed fairly light in terms of clothes and lucky it was a bolt on, so I was able to take it apart and fit it in with my clothes which saved me on excess baggage.

9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Can you not carry it on the plane? Especially in a gig bag? I'd call the airline and ask them. I know it's ultimately up to security in the end, but it's worth some looking into.

There is no way that I would gate check a bass in a regular ol' case.

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    UPS your bass to the hotel.

You can check it on the way back, because the Japanese people actually care about doing their job, and won't ruin anything in checked luggage.

11. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

+1 to a MIJ Purchase.

12. Gazman

Gazman

Hey Force,

I bought my Hiscox case from Better Music in Canberra, they (or Pro Audio) usually have some in stock. Hiscox cases are good enough to survive baggage handlers.

What sort of bass will you be travelling with?

13. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

There are a few possible options here. You can try to bring your bass on wiht you as carry-on, but there are no guarantees that the airline will let you do that.

If you use a gig bag, you can try to get an SKB ATA Roto Electric Bass Case. There's also the option of some of Fender's current cases that they offer with their American Standard instruments. IIRC, those are ATA certified, too.

14. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

It's not the same but I used a regular SKB hard case to fly from Baltimore to Chicago.

The only thing was that I couldn't lock it because they need to be able to inspect it. They broke a hinge on the handle but it may not have been secured properly by me.

I think newer cases have TSA friendly locks.

They also though it was a keyboard. It came out on a different conveyer belt as we'll. It seems like they gave it special treatment. It probably didn't hurt that I put 100 fragile stickers on it.

15. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

I remember reading about how Japanese airlines are instrument friendly. Like they had an upright case for someone to use. Maybe they have a generic flight case you can rent/borrow.

It might be worth calling the airline.