1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

last night, my GK1001RBII epiphany

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Apr 10, 2014.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

I'm such a fool.....been playing GK for years (current 1001RBII, previous - Goldline 500, 1000RB and another 1001RBII, MB500) and have always been convinced I didn't like their preamps so always ran a tube emulator in front of all of them. I struggled with tone a little but finally found what I thought was my sound UNTIL last night. Forgot all of my pedals (tube BDI, noise reducer, compressor) last night for rehearsal and I was pissed. Grabbed cord, plugged my PJ bass directly into the 1001RBII, minimally tweaked the preamp (contour at noon, boost at noon, highs/high mids at noon, low mids rolled off all the way and bass rolled to 8am - almost off, woofer at 100% and gain/volume around 11:30am) and VOILA! Damn! It's the tone I've been looking for and it's been right under my nose the whole time. Singer/guitarist and drummer both told me my tone has never sounded better. Took me long enough but finally found it........ Oh....cabinet running this through is an Avatar non neo 412 (absolute brute of a 412 - 2000watts rms and about 105lbs but worth it).

2. jbd5015

jbd5015 Cool cars & Bass guitars Supporting Member

Always a great revelation!!! Ive recently gone through a similar situation with my V4B and B40 410. I always used a compressor with it, along with an EQ pedal that i would mainly use for boosting mids when i was plucking, leave off when picking.

My sound guy ALWAYS got pissed when i used the compressor, not so much the EQ as i was using it as a slight boost. My compressor died so i just took it off the board, tweaked the EQ and turned up my volume considerably and the tone is PERFECT!

cheers!!!

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    And there you have it! I get compliments on my sound all the time. They ask me what I'm running? I tell them....nothing. Just plug and play. Clean!! I think a lot of folks get wrapped up in pedal use when you don't really need anything at all.

interp likes this.
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    So... you like a massive mid scoop? Where is the low mid knob centered on the 1001rb?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

7. Bredian

Bredian Supporting Member

So the question now is.... where is the "tone" you love originating from? The P/J bass with ____ strings set _________ tone settings active or passive?

In other words, is it the instrument (pickups/wood/strings/pre) or the color/non color from the amp

I too use a PJ Fender that is active, sends great tone to anything, especially direct.

But, recently played several other basses (during jams) through my GK MB115 and get a variety. The Warmoth with Norstrand active pups and flats was a monster. The Squire with flats and passive no name pups was DOA. The Squire player swears by his Ampeg... IMHO, he needed tone to originate from somewhere, even if he pays extra.

I'm a big believer in pickup selection. Just installing an EMG PJx set into another, ordering Delanos for a 3rd......

8. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

The 1001RBII is a great amp. I normally run mine flat or with the bass at around 1:00 with an Avatar 410 or GK Neo 212 cabs and love that clean undistorted sound. However, I'll have to give your EQ settings a try... you've got me curious now.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I like the 1001, a lot.
    I nearly always keep Contour off, though with a P bass, sometimes I'll use a little, for some songs. I generally have upper treble and bass at about 11 oclock, and high and low mids at about 1 oclock. Usually have Presence dialed up to about noon, Boost dialed up to about noon, input at about 10 oclock, and woofer/tweeter where ever they need to be for overall output.

Your settings wouldn't work for me, but, you're not me so, ya know, whatever :D
    It's great when you find what works for you!!!

I've never been a pedal guy.

10. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

it looks like a massive scoop but this PJ bass (fingerstyle) I'm playing for some reason has TONS of low end and low mids....I mean tons. I'm sure I'll have to reconfigure when plug in my Gibby Tbird (modded with P90s....actually sounds great)

The avatar B412 inherently has a lot of low mids and bass as well.

11. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Gone back & boosted the low mids & bass......even better results
    Don't know why I thought I didn't like GKs eq section....sounds wonderful. My tbird, PJ & even my EB3 cut through with so much more authority. Singer is happier & drummer keeps telling me to turn down....heh heh heh

12. David Jayne

David Jayne

Well there you go. I thought I didn't like my 800RB until I finally figured out that I do. Go figure. Next time, if you haven't already try a bit of BOOST knob to liven things up. 2:00 seems to do the trick for me.

13. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have to be the first to admit it, I am a big pedal guy. But I recently blended more of my 1001 back into my signal using the B7K and I was very pleased. Very pleased. I was lacking bottom end for a while there. I was blending too much of my 1001 out. I thought my preamp was benefiting from blending a lot it into my signal then one day I just said the heck with it and blended more of my GK into my signal and it was what I was missing. That good ol' GK goodness. I will always love my 1001. It was my first piece of GK gear and I will always have love for it. And I plan to use it for as long as it holds out.

14. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Go Team Sea Slug!! Supporting Member

Media:
    Yup, that seems to be the consensus with a LOT of GK users.

I had a GK Backline 600 with the Goldline 2x10 and 1x15 stack a long time ago. Judged GK too much by the cabs and the head. I hadn't owned a piece of GK gear again until recently. I was using a Carvin BX500 (which eventually died on me) with a Tech 21 VT Bass deluxe as the preamp. When my Carvin died, I went to Guitar Center and "settled" on a GK MB200. I barely tried it in the store just to make sure it worked, but the real magic was when I took it home. I thought I'd have to use my VT bass for sure but I plugged my Ibanez SRX3EX into and it sounded GREAT! I thought "Oh this is just the awesome preamp I put in the bass" and then plugged in my Squier CV 60's P that sounded AWFUL through the Carvin. My jaw nearly dropped through the floor, it sounded amazing all on its own! I've had GK fever ever since and just purchased a used GK Fusion 550 that I haven't picked up yet....can't wait! I like the warmth and aggression paired with the oversized power sections on the GKs. They get very loud and seem to "handle" the signal with more ease than others I've used. My next purchase (if I can sell the other gear I no longer want) will be a GK Neo 412 cab. That's my dream rig!

15. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Basically now the mids & boost. I have to adjust the bass, treble & contour between the three basses.

16. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Meant to say mids & boost r noon, bass & treble r adjusted per the three basses, woofer is dimed & gain is volume