1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

''Last of the Chestnut to be had''.!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ENDEENDEA, Dec 7, 2013.

1. ENDEENDEA

ENDEENDEA

Hi,,

Just wondering,,

When a Luthier says that there is No More,,,,,,,,,,,Type of wood available, what exatctly does that mean,,,,are they talking about their own inventory or anywhere else in the world,???

There HAS to be existing desireable wood available Somewhere,,No,,,??

Alan.
  2. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

3. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

4. ENDEENDEA

ENDEENDEA

Wow,,,Great to know,,,,

Then I wonder,,is it just more of a marketing ploy to claim the rarity of certain woods such as Pink Ivory or so called endangered woods ,,???,,,,,,,Perhaps to raise prices,??

Again,,,,Thanks,,,!!
  5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Looking at pictures of Chestnut, Pecan/Hickory seem to be very similar in appearance.
  6. ENDEENDEA

ENDEENDEA

Yes,,,Similar in appearance , but I think there may be some differences in tonal quality,,,,,???

What say you,??
  7. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

As a top wood, it probably won't have any effect on tone.
  8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I seriously doubt they would sound any different.
  9. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Not bloody likely.
  10. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Maybe in the case of pink ivory, but certainly not in the case of chestnut, and in general, the problem in developing nations (where the rainforests are) is getting them to stop cutting before these woods are endangered.
  11. Bhazulle

Bhazulle Supporting Member

I just cut down a wonderfully old Black chestnut in my field. :(No wonder the guys I "paid" to haul it off were grinning like cheshire cats.

That said, there are couple more.
  12. ENDEENDEA

ENDEENDEA

So basically,,,most of the ''exotic'' woods that we are all familiar with are readily available,,,correct,??

I was just wondering why some luthiers say ''there is no more'' ?
  13. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Well...some things are easy to find, but in fantastic quality. Bloodwood, for example, has become treacherously difficult to source in that nice blood red color. Everything I have found is just a dingy brown.

It's possible that the luthier you were talking to simply hates working with the stuff, so his personal stock is depleting and he won't order anymore. For example, I hate working with padauk. I'd practically need a sealed SCUBA rig or a military NBC suit with an oxygen source to work with the stuff. It seriously inflames my nose, eyes, and throat at the slightest contact. I wear a respirator, safety goggles, rubber gloves, and a face shield and it still burns. So I've sworn the stuff off. I worked through my last bit a few months ago and haven't bought any more.

So..there isn't any more could easily be code for "I hate the crap."
  14. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

They hauled off a couple of grand!

Nice red Bloodwood here in Ga,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. pnchad

pnchad

that folks who work with wood would know the general state of affairs - worldwide

there are MANY species that, if they are not already'endangered', their normal growing ranges are being decimated

please take the time to educate yourselves in this area

so many examples & reasons to give but suffice it to say;

if you are under 40, it is a solid bet that MOST of the hardwoods used in instrument making today will NOT be available (or prohibitively expensive) in your lifetime
  16. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    The wood in question, American Chestnut, has all but been eradicated by blight, as the wikipedia page explains. Technically, there is chestnut out there, but practically, it's all gone. The links above where it's available are for reclaimed wormy barn boards. If you want to make your guitar from barn boards you can get it if you look for it.

My guess is that the OP is looking for chestnut burl because Fodera had some. Forgive me if I'm wrong. If that's the case, look online for a piece and see if you can find one. It seems like the luthier in question does not believe he can find any. Sourcing woods can take a long time for a species not known to be at the brink of extinction.

As for the rest of the woods, there's a difference between "readily available" and "not threatened". If you want to know the "availability" of a species, do a web search and see how easy it is to find. Or go to a lumber yard and see what they have. If you want to know the conservation status, check with CITES or IUCN or the FSC. I can get Afromosia but it's been on CITES II for 20 years. Why use it? There are alternatives. Cocobolo just got added to CITES II. Very sad. I will miss it.

A lot goes into the price of lumber: transportation, duties, difficulty of processing, political stability of the native range, size of a mature tree, to name a few. "Over-hyped conservation status" does not strike me as a significant factor. More than likely, as pnchad says, you are probably paying less for most exotic species than their true conservation status would suggest is necessary to keep the locals from cutting it out of existence.
  17. KramerDon

KramerDon

I look for Koa to become pretty much unobtainable in the next decade or two,I've noticed it becoming very hard to find and the price has gone way up when I do see it