1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Late night talk show bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by placedesjardins, Jul 6, 2012.

1. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

I don't know if anyone else notices, the theme song for the Tonight Show has the bass volume turned down, but for the songs played during the commercials, the bass is turned up. He's got an Aquilar rig and Sadowsky bass so no real complaint about the tone he's getting.

On Letterman, I like the bass tone dialed in for the theme song.

The Roots on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon... they're the Roots.

Arsenio Hall has a show in the works. I wonder who is going to be in his show band.
  2. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

Yeah, I'd say that Will Lee sounds pretty good.
  3. Portphilia

Portphilia

Speaking of Arsenio Hall.. anybody remember this guy?
  4. BowserBass

BowserBass

Love the Late Night Bass players! A few years ago on the late show I loved to watch a guy named Robert Hurst.
  5. darius8

darius8

Jay Leno's Rickey Minor rocks! He's a Jazz bass wielder.
  6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Doesn't he also have a few seasons as BL on American Idol under his belt?
  7. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Rickey Minor was also the music director for Whitney Houston for a while, too. He had some serious credentials before he got the Tonight Show gig.
  8. darius8

darius8

Rickey Minor is no Kevin Eubanks but in a league of his own. Kevin clicked a lot better with Jay and was funny as heck too. Rickey is still a little new in comedy but he'll come along soon.
  9. IAmTheWalrus

IAmTheWalrus

I think he was the band leader on that karaoke show hosted by Wayne Brady too
  10. ClayDotJ

ClayDotJ Supporting Member

Last week the bass player for Conan was in a bit
    about Django unchained and his bass was on screen for a few minutes giving Sadowsky some free advertising!!
    not sure what his name is but Sadowsky seems like the late night bass of choice.
  11. ShoeManiac

Mike Merritt plays bass in Conan's band. He's had the gig since Conan was on NBC in the 12:30 slot after the Tonight Show. And he's got some pretty nice credits going for him outside of that, too.

And back to Will Lee, Premier Guitar did a rig rundown video with him as well as guitarists Sid McGinnis & Felicia Taylor from Late Show with David Letterman. Will's setup is pretty interesting.
  12. JumboJack

JumboJack

There are rig rundowns of all the late night bass players on Premierguitar.com
  13. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Mullet + Hammer pants + tank top + white guy slapping (the exact same way all white guys do) + Kubiki = WIN!
  14. winterburn69

winterburn69

Loved this. I watch Letterman all the time. I love premierguitar.com I thought Sid's setup was definitely the most interesting of the three, and I'm not even a guitarist, I just love watch premierguitar videos. I thought the segment with Will was kinda boring.

I've noticed the bassist for Jimmy... (brain fart.....) ummm... Fallon!! he's pretty good too. Hate Leno, so I wouldn't know about The Tonight Show band.
  15. 4001

I used to tune in to Letterman back in the early 80's just to hear the show opener. The 4 piece band rocked and Will Lee used to do great variations on his bassline from night to night. I hated it when the band expanded because the tightness of the sound of the 4 piece was lost with all the horns.
  16. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

In Canada, many years ago we had Open Mike with Mike Bullard/Mike Bullard Show. While the show itself was the subject of much criticism, their bandleader/bassist Orin Isaacs is/was an incredible musician.
  17. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    +1

Though they're all great players of course, I miss the Hiram Bullock (RIP) and Steve Jordan days. That band absolutely killed.
  18. mixtapelove

mixtapelove

Yep, the original Letterman band was my favorite too.
  19. ShoeManiac

Ah, that would be none other than Mark Kelley. He took over bass duties with The Roots after Owen Biddle left the band.
  20. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

Can't stand the Paul Schaeffer Band any more.Paul really bugs me.The have been on TV forever and they are so long in the tooth, they should go.
    There was a band I really like. The Lopez show. I wasn't crazy about the show but the band was the best. I will sit through a lot of garbage to get to hear Alex Al on bass!!!!!