1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Late to the Genz Benz party but just as high as the rest of you!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tonetodiefor, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Tonetodiefor

Tonetodiefor Supporting Member

To all of you who have shared their thoughts and experiences on the Shuttle Max 9.2 and the 1288T Uber Quads over numerous posts, I'd like to thank you!

I recently purchased (through three different parties on Ebay), a Shuttle Max 9.2 (new @ $650) and two 1288T's (both new, one @ $460 and the other @ $500).

Comparing the Genz Benz gear against my Hiwatt DR103 and Mesa 400, I'd have to say the Shuttle Max is a pretty formitable head. Lots of tone and having two preamps (which I prefer to blend) and the 7lb chassis is just amazing (Not that there's anything wrong with my other two heads)!

My quest to get a lightweight setup has been fulfilled as well as I'm also loving the chance to mix and match the heads as well with my other two cabinets (a Hiwatt 412 and a Mesa 215).

The Uber Quads also work great for monitors for my Logic Pro X controlled Kuzweil. I did find that one Uber Quad alone is okay for practice at home but for more fullness and bottom end, the second cabinet made all the difference.

Big props to Kirk (SVTB15)!

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Welcome to the family my friend!

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like a killer setup those cabs look serious.

4. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

Never too late in my opinion! Genz Benz forever! :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

7. faulknersj

faulknersj Gold Supporting Member

I'm a huge fan of GB and am sad that the innovation will not continue.

8. Tonetodiefor

Thank you and it's been great to catch up on your posts. I see you're with Mesa now. How do you like Petaluma? I'm just over the hill in Woodacre and spent many years as a kid in Petaluma. In fact, I bought my Mesa rig there years ago.
    It's good to know that product support for Genz will continue.

9. agedhorse

I'm still in Davis, make the commute as needed. Petaluma's a cool area, the whole Sonoma-Marin area's really nice.

All of us behind the GB brand apperciate the support our customers showed us over the years. The product is reliable and really easy for us to support, so it's really a no-brainer to continue that support now.

I do look forward to the creativity that Mesa offers, very much like the GB feel that I enjoyed for so many years.

10. ezstep

ezstep

Agedhorse: I still check in here from time to time, and it's good to see that you are alive and kicking! I am using my old Shuttle at least three times a month, and still smile when I pick it up. :)

11. Linnin

Linnin

Damn! UberQuads Dirt Cheap! Killer Cabs! Just Killer!

12. Tonetodiefor

13. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    OEM Manufacturing Supplier
    GB = Great Gear even if they is gone. I cannot see improving on the Shuttle/Max 9.0/9.2.

Kathump!

14. bnolsen

bnolsen

wife took delivery of a ctr500-115t combo this afternoon. Was just playing with it for a bit but not too crazy. Replaces my 10w guitar practice amp. Having a proper "practice" amp is huge. Back off the playing, dial it up, nice fat tone with some growl and real slides!

The SX has a touch of noise but I think my cables have more noise.

15. agedhorse

The Contour is a lot more than just a practice amp, I know Kirk has done some real gigging with his.

16. Not yet

Not yet

Just another near weekend nite in a dive bar w best amp ever owned in over 40 years playing out....

17. bnolsen

bnolsen

oh i know that. When I was looking around at amps I realized a decent "practice amp" was almost 2 bills and not really that useful. Adding another bill or so got me into something I think is pretty serious. This will play more than fine at church with tons of headroom and really annoy the neighbors as an added bonus.

18. agedhorse

Hey Mike, good to see you're still here and retirement hasn't driven you away!

19. David1234

David1234

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    Now there's a pairing of benefits I don't see everyday.

20. klaatu

klaatu

I got my Genz Benz Contour 115 combo about a month ago. I play the Kala bass, solid body and acoustic/electric and this amp is working out very well. I wanted an amp with a 15 inch speaker with good articulation and it delivers. Just a bit of volume and the Kala is a beast. Great combo!!!