Late to the Party Thread.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Unrepresented, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Thread in which to shamelessly announce those discoveries you've recently made that seemingly everyone else already knows.

I'll start:

I know I'm late to the party on this one but Shawshank Redemption, really good movie.
  2. paste

paste Supporting Member

"Andy Dufresne, who crawled through five football fields of **** and came out clean on the other side."
  3. electracoyote

electracoyote

Better late than never, and that is a great movie.

Sometimes, being late to the party just means you didn't go to the crappy parties but held out for the good ones. Not such a bad thing after all.

For example, I never watch a TV series the first season it airs. I always wait for the reviews, determine if something is a fad or actually has substance, and play catch-up later if I deem it worth my time. I'm kind of the same way with books and movies too.

And gear ;)
  4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

For some people a 5 string is easier to play than a 4.

Whoda thunk?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

Sonic Youth. I always knew of them. I knew that they were quite significant and had a strong following of devout fans. But I never checked them out. Not so much a song, never mind an album. I mentioned that to a friend about a month ago and he let me borrow Experimental Jet Set, Trash And No Star (1994). Remarkably, I recognized one song, "Bull In The Heather". Well, I recognized the intro anyway. Anyway, I really dug the album and have been going through their catalogue since, and I am loving it. I don't know which album is my favorite so far, but I listened to Murray Street (2002) three times this weekend.

Any other Sonic Youth fans?

Edit: Also, I've never seen any of the Godfather flicks. I may as well be an alien when I tell people that .
  7. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dirty is my fave of theirs. Daydream Nation and Sex Is Confusion, also. I haven't heard all their albums, though.
  8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Daydream Nation is a great album too. One of my favorites. Evol is another one that is up there.

I'm late to the party with a lot of things.

Coffee (didn't start until my 30's)
    Fish surfboards.
    Camel bags for MTB riding
    Golf (again didn't start until my 30's)
    Twitter (still not entirely on board with it)
    Instagram (meh)
    Shameless US version
    Frank Zappa
  9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Oh and I was purposely late on iOS 7 and it still f'd me :scowl:
  10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

I love Sonic Youth...when Thurston Moore sings. Somebody, please either A). take the mic away from Kim Gordon, or B). recommend a good vocal coach to her. I know that music isn't based around great vocal prowess, but I still like the vocals to be in key at least half of the time.
  11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Also, here's something I'm late to the party on: brown shoes. It's taken me a while to update my shoe game in my wardrobe, and it seems like all of the interesting oxfords, wingtips, or loafers are brown. I picked up a really nice pair of brown shoes at Ross this past summer and have really been digging them. I can wear them with casual or dress clothes. I don't wear them often, but when ever I do, they always look bangin'. :D

P.s. Something I'm still late on the party for (and take a lot of ribbing over): a smart phone. I'm still using a flip phone for all of my cellular needs. *lol*
  12. bassteban

bassteban

There's so much cool sh- out there that I don't see how one could be hip to everything- which to me means I'll be walking in late on a ton of stuff.
  13. Ironbar

Ironbar

I've wanted to play bass since I was in my teens. I didn't start until I was 46.
  14. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Wait! There's a party?
  15. mellowinman

mellowinman Fun at Really Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    In 1996, my band put out a new CD. I asked the tech if he could mix one down onto cassette tape for me, since I did not own a CD Player.

That's pretty much the story of my life. If you text me, I cannot receive it on my flip-phone.
  16. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Yeah, I've been listening recently. The problem is I like to listen to full albums start to finish, so I end up hearing the first songs and then run out of time.
  17. halfjackson

Cool. I have Dirty, but I haven't gotten to it yet. The only one that I didn't totally dig was Sonic Nurse. Oh, and Washing Machine didn't quite live up to the hype.

Edit: Just listened to Sonic Nurse again (2nd time), and despite it having a weak song or two, I now think that it's an awesome album. You know, as I go through all of Sonic Youth's albums, I'm finding that when I finish an album I'm often left feeling like I either want to listen to it again immediately, or just sit in silence. Or some combination of both. It doesn't get much better than that.
  18. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

I didn't develop a refined taste for beer until I was 13!
  19. halfjackson

I love both of those albums. Looking at your list, I realize thatI never showed up to the party!

Yeah, man, I prefer whole albums too. Fortunately, one thing that my job affords me is a decent amount of time to listen to music, so I got that going for me...
  20. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Technically I can listen all day at work. It is a noisy environment and it has to be though speakers (no headphones) so I can get a baseline, but no solid judgement.
  21. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I just rented GTA5 a couple days ago. Can't say I've ever been a huge fan of the series, but the way they created a game version of LA just floors me. It's great that I can go hang out at Neptune's Net in Malibu, then go drive by it in the game.