1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Latest House Project!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by iamlowsound, Jan 5, 2014.

1. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Hello all! Many of you have liked the things that I have built in the past (Kitchen Space Problem and Turning Old Furniture into Magazine Funiture) so I thought that I would post pictures of my latest project.

My wife has been bugging me to build her a headboard for several years now, the only problem being that she couldn't make up her mind on what she wanted it to look like. About 6 months ago, she decided that she wanted a reclaimed wood headboard. Once she described it to me, I set about sourcing the wood. Over the Christmas Holidays, I finally had enough time to do the work.

[​IMG]
    I found four nice, old, decent condition barn boards and a 2x4 for legs.

[​IMG]
    This was after I had the boards cut to size and the legs glued and screwed on. I also did a coat of flat Minwax Polycrylic to seal and protect. I went with the Polycrylic as it is super clear and wont yellow from sunlight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All completed and installed in place! Decorating skills are all my wife's, I just build things. Thanks for looking!

lowsound
  2. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Looks great! Don't show my wife!
  3. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

It was super easy and super cheap to build. Took less than an hour to build, about an hour to put the polycrylic on and less than $50 for all the parts. You can find old barn boards for free!

lowsound
  4. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

BTDT...

We went through a few iterations of 'what do we want' when the waterbed sprung a leak and we "got to" explore a conventional spring/mattress setup (I have still not discounted sabotage ;-) ...)

Final version was spring/mattress on floor (they're _tall_ ...) and raise the headboard. Aha! This gave me the go-ahead to buy the Bosch router and router table from my wishlist so I could do a proper 3/4" radius bullnose on 1.5" ( '2-by') stock... I ain't complainin' ...

Thus equipped, next up on the list is a built-in spice rack - basically a narrow cabinet with inset pillaster shelves. If that goes as planned, next up is wall-to-wall bookshelves in the downstairs. (Waiting for spring...)

I am not a woodworker by preference but I am aghast at what I see as pricing for 'custom' installations of what is just basic joinery. I've watched Norm Abrams, I have my biscuit-joinery tools, and as long as it's 90's and 45's, I can handle it...
  5. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I can't believe the price that some things cost. Now, I fully believe the custom stuff done by a real tradesman are worth every penny, but I spent enough time as a finish carpenter and my dad spent 25 years doing fine and finish carpentry that I figure that I can do a pretty good job myself.

lowsound
  6. elgecko

elgecko

That's sweet. I love rustic simplicity.
  7. bolophonic

bolophonic

I am in the process of dismantling several large barns and I suspect that all of my furniture will look like this in the future.
  8. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Nice! Once we have a house, I am building a thick slab, reclaimed wood kitchen table.

lowsound
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Nicely done.

I have also found myself surprised at the prices people will pay for a finished product like that. It reminds me to thank my father for teaching me skills to build things myself and be resourceful.

-Mike
  10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I've got an entire old barn made from some very nice, straight grained red oak that needs to come down, and we are about to start a major remodel so I expect more than one room will wind up with the drywall torn out and barn boards put up.

It's over 80 years old and hard as a rock. I made a couple of small picture frames from some of it and I couldn't drive little brads in to it, they'd just bend when I tried.
  11. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

That is awesome! There are a lot of Mennonites around my area, so the competition for old barns is high. I wouldn't mind taking one down and having wood for life, I just don't have any space to store it currently.

lowsound
  12. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

Looks great!
  13. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler Supporting Member

Nice job! Looks good.
  14. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

If I hadnt left my phone at home today Id post some pics of the firepit my roommate and I built out of river rocks. We just finished yesterday and Im looking forward to getting my bonfire on.