latin bass book question

Discussion in 'Ask the Berklee Bass Department' started by b_ryceeeee, Mar 20, 2014.

1. b_ryceeeee

b_ryceeeee

on page 144 section three the beginning of brazilian bass lines, are most of those pieces supposed to be played in cut time? a little confused in the paragraph it explains that the root is typically played on beat 1 and the 5th below is usually on beat 3 but then the written music has the sign for cut time? can I play it either way (4/4) or in cut time (2/2)or am i trippin? lol sorry if this sounds dumb

2. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Don't know the book you mention,but most traditional brazilian (samba, marcha, etc.) is written in 2/2. If it wasn't, then reading the subdivisions would kill you…and you would not get the feel.

But that big accent on the 5th below the root falls on the third quarter in 2/2….or on "two,"v the second half-note, in 2/2.

Sort of like the temporal equivalent to that Jeff Berlin "E = F flat" bit.

If you have aural access to true samba, like decent carnival stuff, you'll get what I'm saying…and enjoy tapping into one of the greatest musical traditions known to man…it's certainly changed my outlook over the last few decades...

3. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Thought about this a bit more…one samba is worth ten thousand words…

Enjoy!

4. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Media:
    Thanks, Joebone. I actually had a similar question and your answer helped me solve it.

5. Register to disable this ad