1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Laverne Walk

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by BassplayerBrian, May 23, 2008.

1. BassplayerBrian

BassplayerBrian

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you knew where I could find sheet music for the laverne walk I think it's by Oscar Pettiford I've tried looking around in my area for it but I can't find a bassist whose familiar with it :confused:
  2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

I dunno if it's around as a chart, I just took it off a Sam Jones record...
  3. BassplayerBrian

BassplayerBrian

Oh alright, thanks Ed!
  4. Eli_Upright12

Eli_Upright12

I have a head written out for bass that Rufus Reid gave me at the Richard Davis Bass conference, if I find it I'll scan and send it to you.
  5. BassplayerBrian

BassplayerBrian

sounds great, Eli! Thanks!
  6. billritchie

billritchie

This is where you can get the melody to Laverne Walk:

The Music of Oscar Pettiford, Volume One
    80 Bass Solos transcribed and edited by Volker Nahrmann
    Copyright 1988

The intro, tune, and solo are found on pages 110-112
    The recording he used for the transcription is:

Blues Brothers
    Black Lion BLP 30135

There's a nice version with Stan Getz & Oscar Pettiford on an album called Ghost of a Chance, or Oscar's Montmatre Blues album.
  7. Tommy el Gato

Tommy el Gato

A friend of a former teacher transcribed it. I'll see if I can upload a scan of the sheet he gave me. It's kinda like rhythm changes in G, then then bridge is in the key of the IV chord.

It's a cool tune, btw. I played it on my Junior recital here at Morehead State.
  8. Tommy el Gato

Tommy el Gato

9. Jack Clark

Jack Clark

Yeah, I just checked that out on Amazon. They have someone wanting to sell a used copy for $100.

EDIT: However, I did find another source for a new copy of it for $18.00 online at:

http://www.bassbooks.com/shopping/s...xact=&atleast=&without=&cprice=&searchfields=

I just today received one in the mail. The Laverne Walk solo bassline covers three pages in that book. The transcription is by Volker Nahrmann and is considerably different in notation and sometimes notes from the other transcription offered in this thread. But I don't think that's at all unusual. It's not clear that both transcribers were working from the same recording and O.P. didn't likely play it the same twice.
  10. nickbass

nickbass Supporting Member

To my eye and ear, there are some inaccuracies in this transcription - best check again bar 6 of A, bars 3 and 7 of B and bar 8 of the last A before committing to memory!
  11. msw

msw

You can buy this recording lots of places on the Internet on CD for less than $10. I did, it's GREAT.
  12. Jack Clark

Jack Clark