1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Lawsuit Era 70s Style Jazz-Blocks/Binding-Natural-$375

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by A-Step-Towards, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    241   0   0

One more sweet and rare bass for the taking. This is a no name lawsuit era Jazz bass. If you look at it you can tell its a quality lawsuit bass and not one of the earlier laminate ones that I avoid personally. If you are really into lawsuit era stuff you're going to notice that this is nearly Identical to a Ibanez J of the same time period, in fact I am 99% certain this was produced in the same factory. The main differences between this one a ibanez is this doesn't have a trussrod cover and adjusts at the heel which I think looks better as a real J doesn't have a truss rod cover. It also doesn't have a ibanez logo, besides that its identical. Same neck plate, same tuners, necks look the same, pickups are slightly rounded, bridges the same and they even have the truss rod access at the pocket in the body and the routing of it looks identical.

Here is the real question, why does the Ibanez I linked below have a truss rod cut in the pocket like mine but it adjusts at the headstock. This leads me to believe this jazz was made while the lawsuits were going on so it wasn't labeled or maybe it was made when they first started making lawsuit J's and later added their logo. I have no idea but I think this is a actual Ibanez made bass.

Condition is fair/good. The body has light dings here and there, etc but is rather presentable and has beautiful grain. The neck is very clean,the frets good etc. The tuners have a lot of patina but no bends. I scratched the tuners and neckplate with my finger nail and grime would come off so its my guess that it can be cleaned up but I don't put steel wool to anything deemed vintage so that's you're choice.

Weight? I dont have a scale but this bass is light and what I mean by this is if this bass hurt your back then you would not be playing bass standing up at all because this is that light, but no neck dive.

The bass plays great, it has new rounds on it. The action is medium and the truss rod turns easily and adjusts the neck just fine. I dont want to get into details but I had a thread here about a 1976 Fender Jazz I bought last year around this time, I think I paid $1800. It was a total hunk of trash. The truss was messed up, the bass was a tank, the frets uneven. It was a mess. I got out of it without losing cash but its crazy how much better of a bass this is.

As you can see in the thread I linked below comparing this to a Ibanez I have priced mine similar. You can also see his sold pretty fast, these are great basses and its not uncommon to see them sell around $500.

[DEL]$375 [/DEL]$325 Shipped CONUS

I will have more natural light photos up tomorrow, I just have the neck pocket and 1 shot of the body on hand.

Compare to a badged Ibanez Model
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-ft-1976-jazz-bass-ibanez-lawsuit-ohsc-976375/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The patina on the neckplate could be cleaned up-you're decision, I personally dont clean vintage chrome

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. JeffG667

JeffG667 Supporting Member

0   0   0

Interested...need to see a bit more though. Especially the neck.
    Thanks.
  3. s3lggiW

s3lggiW

0   0   0

4. A-Step-Towards

Rating - 100%
    241   0   0

Thanks for the link. Its for sure closer to a Ibanez then that bass. Its tuners are identical to the Ibanez tuners of the same era. that Yamaki has smaller tuners.
  5. A-Step-Towards

Rating - 100%
    241   0   0

On hold locally.
  6. playzabass

playzabass Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0

Still on hold?? Sold??
  7. A-Step-Towards

Rating - 100%
    241   0   0

yes still on hold - a guy from CL I dont think its a member here will e over at 12 today I will update after talking with him.
  8. A-Step-Towards

Rating - 100%
    241   0   0

sold locally for $250.

CL is moving my stuff quicker then TB. I guess i should state anything for sale here is also on CL.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.