LCR Band at Grazzies 1/10/14

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BassCliff, Jan 11, 2014.

1. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

I was filling in for the regular bass player with my friends in their band, The LCR Band. They play classic rock.

We were at Grazzies, a local Italian restaurant and sports bar. The food is pretty dang good there and the crowds are lively and friendly.

[​IMG]

I arrived early so Mrs. BassCliff and I could have some dinner before downbeat. (They feed the band! Woot!) Most of the gear is set up, just a little more guitar and PA stuff to go.

[​IMG]

Everyone is all set up more than a half hour before downbeat. But, do you see that space between the sub and the stage? The keyboard player is supposed to go there and it's 25 minutes until downbeat!

[​IMG]

The place is pretty packed and we were getting a little worried. Luckily we got a text and knew the keyboardist was on his way.

[​IMG]

At last Matt arrives about 20 minutes before downbeat and hustles to get setup.

[​IMG]

And now he's got his Guinness and is ready to play, with four minutes left to spare.

[​IMG]

Steve is giving me a cue about something. He's a really solid drummer, a good singer, sings parts, and also plays guitar. He runs the PA from back there.

[​IMG]

This is Doug. He also sings a lot. He pulls out his 12-string for a few songs. It sounds great.

[​IMG]

This is Doug's rig. He also plays a red Strat.

[​IMG]

This is Kenny, a smokin' guitar player who sings and shreds. We must be doing "Rocky Mountain Way" because he's using that tube thingy. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

This is Kenny's rig. I think he uses the Rivera for that tube thingy. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Kenny's pedal board and effects rack.

[​IMG]

Here we are making noise. They do a couple of songs that are not part of the normal classic rock repertoire around here, "White Room" (Cream) and "Love Her Madly" (Doors). There's also a lot of Santana, Beach Boys, Chicago, Beatles, Skynard, and standard fare that everybody loves like "Vehicle" and "Born To Be Wild".

[​IMG]

Matt really nails the horn section parts with one hand while playing a regular keyboard part with his other hand. It really makes the band sound full. It's always a treat working with guys who play and sing well. These guys have been working together for 20 years and are all really, really good.

I took a couple of close-ups of the guitars hanging on the wall behind the stage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They seem like they are playable but are just decoration.

They have a mix-and-match PA but it gets the job done.

The mixer and power amps for subs and monitors.

[​IMG]

The crossovers and main EQ. The main tops are powered.

[​IMG]

The little Radian monitors you saw in the earlier stage picture really do a good job.

OK, now the crowd is into it. The house is rockin'. I think Doug is singing "Wonderful Tonight". ;)

[​IMG]

Then we started playing "Play That Funky Music White Boy" and "YMCA" and the ladies got a little crazy.

This is Debbie and Trish. Oh, and that's Bob.

[​IMG]

I didn't catch this lady's name but she loves to play air bass.

[​IMG]

This is Stacey, Trish, Debbie, air bass lady, and Bob with a photobomb.

[​IMG]

It was a fun night and we got tipped really well. Somebody even threw in a $100 bill to sweeten the pot. Now we're earning our keep. It's that time of the night.

[​IMG]

Above you see one of the monitor speakers. They did a good job. That rack, under the mixer, with the power amps and monitor EQ is REALLY heavy to carry. I told Doug he should think about some class D amps.

It was a great night. Thanks for letting me share it with you. Let's see some of your gigs!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  2. SevenJacks

SevenJacks

You documented this like one of my very best friend documents projects or events he does.

Personally I would love to see more people do this. I find this kind of 'Gig Story Telling' very fun to read :)

Thank you for the effort!
  3. Perc44

Perc44 Supporting Member

Yup, SevenJacks is right. Cool documentation of the night BassCliff. Almost like being there. I love it.
  4. Winfred

Winfred

I always enjoy your pics and descriptions. Thank you!
  5. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

I agree with SevenJacks. I want to see more of this! And I'll contribute...once we start gigging.
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Looks like it was a pretty good night.

For the record that "tube thingy" is a talk box, you have to run a head and cab to use them. When he kicks it on the signal path stops coming through his cabinet and the sound comes out of the tube in his mouth. He then has to make the sounds with his mouth to get the desired tone. They are really fun.

Yes, I did listen to a lot of Frampton. I do not own a Heli but I have got use one before, and yes I played Frampton. I am not good enough on guitar to shred of out kickstart my heart.
  7. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Thank you! I was having an anuerism or something and just could not remember. Yes, the talk box is a really cool old school sound. Fun stuff.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff