LDS 1212/5 Video review

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by kringle77, Jan 6, 2014.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Finally got around to making a few videos for my new cab.

1212/5

- Pair of 3012lf woofers run fullrange and a faital pro m5n-80 mid high passed at 1.6khz, controlled with an adjustable attenuator.
    - 18" wide, 16" deep, 32.5" tall, 55lbs even.
    -Recessed top handle and wheels on bottom/back
    -Recessed strap handles on sides

So, it's very portable, sounds great and will put out a buttload of volume without breaking a sweat. The 3012lf woofers really are much tighter, punchier, more responsive than the 3015lf's. I actually don't miss the sealed vibe too much with this cab and it's the only ported design that I've ever liked with my svt. It's pretty cool that it sounds the same at any volume. The faital mid is sweet sounding but, not so pretty that it won't cut through the mix like some others. You can really get some different vibes just by adjusting the mid attenuator. If it's turned down alot, you get more of the woofer sound and that makes it sound like a larger, heavier voiced cab. By running the woofers fullrange I get alittle peak at 1.6k, which is good for electric bass and then the mid has a peak at around 5.2k which I could live without but, it's not annoying in any way. Not like the the 18sound mid at all.

1212/5 with Genz 9.2
  2. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

They all sound good, but the SVT and the 1212/5 just has that "it." That would not only be a killer live tone, but mic'd in the studio, ahhhhhhh...
  3. husky123

husky123 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    SVT for the win.
  4. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve

That sounds great!!! So no low pass on the 12s at all? As you go higher in the frequency range the impedance goes up as well, allowing you to run a 4 ohm load from the 12s and the mids together correct? Couldn't tell from the vids, what kind of porting arrangement and tuning does it have?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kringle77

There are 5 2" ports along the right side. I can't remember the tuning but, it's in the mid 40's. Not sure about the impedance. It just sounds better the way it is. I really like this cab. It sounds more bass cab like while while getting that mid loaded performance off axis. I'll take some photos when I get more time.
  7. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve

From the vid it sounds nice and thick through the mids. If you haven't had any issues cranking with your genz, I wouldn't think it drops below 4 ohms. I dig it!
  8. kringle77

I just watched my videos and I'm surprised to find that the 1212/5 clips sound very much like it does in real life. The nv610 sounds brighter than it really is. Weird but cool. Has to be the mid. I wish it was spring so that I could bring the cab outside and crank it. Its not really broken in yet. It sounded really good when I ran a joemeek sixq. The cab reproduces deep low end in a very nice way. I'd like to hear more cabs and pre's with it as well. I haven't been posting on tb much lately because I'm really happy with all my gear and even have a few good options depending on the gig and what I feel like hauling.
  9. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

That's a slammin' cab. That Faital M5N-80 mid is the ideal complement to those 3012LF woofers. I wouldn't have thought to run those 3012LFs full range because of that pronounced upper mid peak but it sounds fine. The 1.6 kHz high pass works well for that mid and the attenuator is useful for adjusting mid balance. Nice focus and heft to the lows - punchy but full. I gotta concur with "SVT for the win"; excellent sounding rig. If I were to order a cab from LDS this would be the one.
  10. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve

+1 , I may do just that - plus a tweet.....maybe
  11. 5StringPocket

Ya know, I generally like a quality tweeter on my cabs but that Faital 5 goes just high enough at 6kHz+, that I find I don't need any more. I run my Xsonics cabs which have the same Faital mid and tweet with the tweeter off. Just enough treble extension without the click...
  12. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve

Really? Nice! I just sold my lds 12/6 with the Faital mid, it sounded great. The 210 flex uses a pair of the same mids, and I believe you built a 1212/66 with them too right? How does the 5" compare?

I definitely don't hear anything missing in the vids!
  13. 5StringPocket

I've had the Faital W6N8-120 in my 1212/66 build and in a pair of Baer ML-112. It's an excellent mid driver but I slightly prefer the M5N8-80 voicing. It's not quite as smooth and doesn't go quite as high but it goes high enough for me to cover all the useful content in a bass guitar and seems to have the slight hills and valleys in the right places. As mentioned, it's sweet enough not to be harsh but has enough presence to sit well in a mix and not get lost. IME, it sounds really good in bass guitar cabs.
  14. kringle77

I had my genz 9.2 set flat with the master all the way up yesterday and the cab didn't even hickup. Just took it. This isn't the most efficient cab in the world but, it will handle most any gig if you have the watts available. Really liking it.
  15. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve

Do you like the 3012LFs better than the HO's with the smoothing circuit? How does this cab compare to your hurtful cab?
  16. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    VERY nice cab, Chris! Kudos on your exceptionally well thought-out design choices, and to LDS for making it happen.
  17. kringle77

It gets deeper and higher than the hurtful, smoother in the mids, more overall output, less efficient. Last night I did find the limit of the cab. My gain was down a bit when i cranked the genz the first time. With every control at noon the 12125 starts to compress alittle. Keep in mind that at that point the cab is really loud.
  18. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Great cab! I like the sound of the Genz Benz through it the best. Sorry overrated SVT, all that weight and cost ain't worth it!!

:spit: