LDS Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by iriegnome, Jan 23, 2014.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Media:
    I have been reading up and checking out cabinets and I have not found much around TB about LDS cabinets. I also have not seen any for sale used either. I have spoken to Don and he is a really nice guy. I am curious about any LDS cab owners and how you like your cab's? Typical things. What amp have you got pairing your LDS cab's?
    Again, I have checked around and have not seen much about them.
  2. husky123

husky123 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Don is building me a 610 sealed cab as we speak but I have one of his 3015 loaded 115's and I love it. Build quality is excellent and sound quality is on par with my Bassic 115. No complaints.
  3. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

4. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    Yup, mega thread on Don's cabs. I have had Don build me three cabs, and could'nt say a bad thing about any of them. It's best to let Don know EXACTLY what you want, down to the last detail. He will make suggestions about stuff, but know what you want beforehand. He has been in this business going on 30 years, I believe, and so has his own ideas about cab building in general. He is also a bass player. He does NOT have his own line of cabs; every cab he builds is usually a one off. His tolex work is fabulous. For a one man shop, he's pretty incredible.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Yeah, good guy to deal with. He made me two cabs, both excellent quality. Tell him exactly what you want and he'll build it.
  7. icke2433

icke2433 Supporting Member

I have two cabinets being built by him right now for a pair of K-140s, he's been super nice about everything and has a pretty decent turnaround time from his initial estimate.
  8. iriegnome

Media:
  9. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

Finest cabs money can buy, I have a 4x8 that I use with my MB800 for small rooms and it thumps! Weighs less than 50 lbs too. I am going to have him build a long throw 12" cab to throw underneath it in the near future.
  10. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Are you crossing your cabs over at some point? :eyebrow:
  11. iualum

iualum

215 w/3015s & Selenium D220Ti horn & 15/6 w/3015LF & 6ND410 here. Both tremendous. Not cheap, but considering what they are, wonderful pricing.
  12. iualum

iualum

+1
  13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Don is a pleasure to deal with and his prices are good. His box building and finishing skills are exceptional IME. An LDS 15/6 has been my mainstay/favorite cab for a few years. I have auditioned others but they are all gone and Don's is still here :)
  14. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

I did not ask Don about that when I was talking to him about the build, but that is a good question, and will ask that when I finalize the build specs.
  15. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You would want to highpass your 408 as well as low pass the 12.
  16. janforth

janforth Wal Bass Club #82 Supporting Member

I have 2 cabinets made by Don, I love them, they are solid, and are holding up great, I am using them with an Eden WT800, and they are loaded with EV 15's and 10's, simply put, tell him what you want, he will build it, and at a reasonable price, I wanted something that is/was not available on the market, and Don built it to my specs.
  17. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

You won't find better boom for your buck. Don's build quality is first-rate,and his level of customer service is second to none.

Personally,I have experience with his LF3015-loaded single 15 and 15/6/1 cabs as well as a Neo 12/6 and vertical 4-10 Neo cabs. I have run all the above cabs with a Carvin B2000,a GK 1001rb,800rb,400rb,an SWR 350 Redface,a TC BH250,and an Ampeg PF500. They performed flawlessly and handled everything with ease,although I never(and wouldn't)tried pumping the Carvins full 2-jillion watts through any of them..

I'm currently selling all my other SWR/Ampeg/Acoustic Control/GK/Peavey/and Carvin cabs,as the LDS 4-10 is everything I'll ever need and only weighs 58lbs. Simply put,they effin ROCK!!
  18. iriegnome

Media:
    I have asked for a 3x12 Faital Neo cabinet with a 6" mid for a cab rated 1000w @ 4Ohms. He is working on a design for it. I will be using a Ampeg SVT-7Pro head for the rig
  19. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

I have an LDS 2x15 cab loaded with Faital Pro 15PR400's that I am rocking with a Fender Studio Bass amp. Don did the cab in Fender silverface style for me to match the amp.

Don was great to work with and delivered a very well built cab in a reasonable timeframe and at a very decent price.

I would buy another cab from LDS and Don anytime.

The advice you are getting to be as specific in your goals as you can with Don is the best. Don has plenty of ideas of his own, based on tons of experience, but he will also work closely with you to get you what you are seeking in a cab.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=388889&stc=1&d=1390518189

Attached Files:

20. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I'd like to hear the vertical 4x10 cab! See that's a cool design..

:bassist:
  21. basss

basss Supporting Member

Has anyone corresponded with Don primarily through email? I know most say phone is best with him but my schedule makes email easier for me. I have a cab in the works with him and have sent him details via email - you guys think I need to follow up on the phone?