Le POD

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Space Pickle, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

I have a question for anybody who has used the Line 6 POD or equivalent: Can you utilize the amp modelling without having the POD be the recording interface? Basically I would like to go guitar -> POD -> Interface -> Computer.

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Yes that's how I use mine.

3. TinyE

TinyE

Yes. I do this all the time. Output of pod to input of interface.

4. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

OK cool. Thanks guys...I'm doing a fake recording project this summer. The only instrumed mic'd up will be a saxophone. Bass is going direct, keys are going direct, guitar is going through the POD, drums are Roland TD-30's. Just wanted some clarification before I shell out $420 for a POD HD or $700 for a POD HD 500 rackmountable thingy.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TinyE

TinyE

To be clear, I am using a gen 1 basspod but I can't see why they would be any different. I use 1/4 out of the amp modeler right into my audio interface.

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Me too

8. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

If you want the POD modeling, and plan to stay strictly in the studio, why not just get a UX1 or UX2 and then use POD Farm so you can fix things in the box like (I am assuming) everything else?. Half the price, probably much more useful in your situation.

FWIW, I use a POD XT Live for my guitar tones, but for the life of me I wish there was a way to send a second output dry from the POD that I could re-work in the box to make it fit.

Peace,
    Greg

9. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

From what I gather the POD Farm is a software package. I'd prefer hardware to take the processing load off of the computer (the idea is to track all these instruments simultaneously).

10. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

...and the update is that I bought a POD HDX 500 rackmount thing and it's useless. Like, it sounds terrible. No usable tones. I'm going to take it back next week and look into Waves plugins I think.

11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Same thing with Waves - you'll need to tweak the presets to your liking.
    IMHO - It's always better to keep things in the digital domain once you get them there. And it's always better to record dry and add effects to the playback.
    Think of it like pure clean water. Keep the bass signal pure, add the processing later. You can make good coffee or tea out of clean water, it's hard to make good coffee out of tea.

12. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Yeah. I was trying the Gtr 3 amp out and it sounded amazing.