lead singer is addicted to karaoke...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by powderfinger, May 16, 2011.

1. powderfinger

powderfinger

I wish this thread was a joke... but I am dead serious here.

I have a bandmate (and I am related to him, as well) who absolutely loves karaoke. Now, when I say he loves karaoke, I don't mean he enjoys going out, having a few beers, and singing some fun songs.. I mean, the dude acts like he's playing Radio City Music Hall when he gets up on the karaoke stage at this local karaoke dive.

He is one of our lead singers, and he has a great singing voice. I mean, absolutely great singing voice. He has plenty of experience playing in bands. He's not an amateur, or a beginner, or some karaoke hack who wants to play in a "real band". Dude has the goods.

Problem is.... he spends more time at karaoke than he has ever thought about rehearsing with us, or hitting the woodshed. He goes to this ridiculous karaoke bar here in town, and he has dragged me out a few times. When I went, I was amazed at what I saw..

-He made a huge ordeal about what song he was going to sing. He ended up picking out a song, and then proceeded to go up to the karaoke dj, and asking him which KEY the song was in, on the karaoke version before he put the song in. He then asked the karaoke dj to find him a song in the key of "G" by "insert artist name" (I forgot now what song he was even asking about). Once the karaoke dj told him the keys are not listed on the cd, he just sat there talking about how the karaoke cd makers need to pring the song key on the back of the cd or in the liner notes (liner notes... lol).

-So finally, he picks a song, and takes a HUGE risk by not knowing if the song he is putting in is in D or actually in G. So before he gets up to sing, some girl comes up and tells him she wants him to sing "Islands in the Stream" with her. He asks her what key the song is in. I burried my face on the table and died laughing. She had no clue, but he agreed to do it.

-So before he gets up to sing "Islands in the Stream" he asked me if I could refresh him on the words. I was like, "dude, the words are on the screen". He said, he needed to be prepared better, so he GOOGLED the lyrics on his phone. After that he asked me to come into the bathroom with him. I was like, ok.. whatever I gotta pee, no big deal. He then asked me "how does my hair look". I was like, "whatever", and went to pee. He proceeded then to spend the next 5 minutes styling his hair with a comb and sink water.

-So when time came to sing the song, he actually NAILED the song. Him and this girl sounded great. Everyone clapped. When he got back to the table, he asked me "did I sound like s***". I was like, "dude, NO... were at karaoke.. who gives a crap.. the guy before you just butchered 'Cum on Feel the Noize', while his hearing aids were feeding back through the PA. He then told me that when he gives live performances that you never know who is watching. I told him that no one in the history of mankind has been discovered singing karaoke and been signed to a deal. He then told me the Asian guy from Journey. I wanted to punch him by now.

Every song is this much drama btw.

Any suggestions on bringing this guy back to reality, and making him as serious about our band as he is karaoke. I am laughing at half of this, and understand its not the end of the world, but he is getting out of control with karaoke.. esp. for a guy who has actually been in a ROAD BAND before.
  2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

HAHA! And I thought my fiancee (also singer in a band) was addicted. Now I know otherwise...
  3. powderfinger

powderfinger

She didn't ask a really short Italian guy to sing "Islands In the Stream" about a week ago, did she?
  4. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

The guy seriously suffers from LSD (Lead Singers Disease)
    Tell him he totally sucks at karaoke, and needs to practice more with the band.

That is, if you can stand being around him anymore...
  5. jaywa

jaywa

Pretty obvious to me that your singer is a full-on flake who also has major control issues.

He likes the karaoke scene better than your band because he can control/manipulate more of the variables in a karaoke situation. Also it's an ego stroke for him, especially if the "competition" he goes against is as dreadful as it sounds. On the karaoke scene he's a big fish, on the band scene maybe not so much.

The obvious answer is to dump his ass and find another singer but if that's not an option for you I guess all I can say is roll with it and hopefully while he's doing his karaoke diva act he's not dropping the name of your band so that you all don't get tainted in the process.
  6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

lol, nah, we havent been out to karaoke for a while...
  7. BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry

Dunno if this is related...

I've played with two folks who started with Karaoke and decided that they were ready to be in a band... and both were nightmares. Learning how to sing to a machine and sing with musicians are two very different things...
  8. bassteban

bassteban

I think you're jealous.

:ninja:

KIDDING- but I don't see the issue until/unless it's hurting the band.
  9. jaywa

jaywa

When it becomes an issue is when the OP's band starts losing gigs because they're "the band with that a**hole karaoke guy".

Guilt by association. It only takes one jagoff in a band to screw things up for everyone. Trust me on this.
  10. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes Supporting Member

After that he asked me to come into the bathroom with him. I was like, ok.. whatever I gotta pee, no big deal. He then asked me "how does my hair look". I was like, "whatever", and went to pee. He proceeded then to spend the next 5 minutes styling his hair with a comb and sink water.

I didn't know guys did that also. :meh:
  11. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

I just played a venue in NYC that has karaoke with a live band two nights a week, which is pretty cool if you ask me.
  12. jaywa

jaywa

There's a band here that does that at a club every Tuesday night. I went to check it out one week. There were about 12 people in a 200 capacity club and the band looked (and played) like they were bored out of their minds. I hope they were getting paid very well.
  13. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Karaoke diva behavior is one reason I quit my last band. The drummer invited the town karaoke queen (his cousin by marriage) to join the band, and though I thought it was a bad idea, I said nothing because I was pretty new myself. I was also the only member not related to any of them.

She had a tendency to show up for practice 30 minutes late, stay only long enough to sing the 3 songs she'd practiced (we all shared vocal duties, though she sang about 2/3 of our setlist), then vanish because she had more important things to do. She was overscheduled in the first place, but strangely found time for karaoke.

She also liked to disappear right after gigs, leaving us to pack up the PA. Again her excuse was that she was "too busy". We talked to her a few times, but when I saw that her behavior was never going to change, I left. As far as I know, she hasn't changed, though I heard the drummer is unhappy but won't say anything. Thank goodness my current band has no diva (the lead guitarist and I do most of the singing).
  14. powderfinger

powderfinger

DING DING DING.... you said it all, right there.

I can't dump the guy from the band. Honestly, he is my 1st cousin, and best friend in the whole entire world. I love the guy like a brother, and would never throw him out of the band.

That said, I think he does enjoy the control he has at karaoke. Thing I don't get though is that he has fronted other bands before. Infact, when I was a teengager (he is a bit older than me), in high school, he was already playing the college circuit, and did very well. He has had several successful bands, and he did well for himself.

However, he quit his last band around 2002. He hasnt played in a band in 9 years. His last band was on the cusp of possibly get some sort of deal, but it fell through. I know he was devestated. But instead of getting back up and wiping off the dirt, he simply quit music.

In the 90s or early 00s, he would never have gotten up to sing karaoke. He considered karaoke to be for "hacks" and "wanna bes". Now he is like one of these old people, who go senile, lose their mind, and go off the deep end. He is now a full fledged karaoke addict, and seems only half interested in the band.

Is this fear of failure, perhaps? Maybe.

My cousin/lead singer is a behavioral psychologist's dream./
  15. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

I'd have a hard time hanging out and playing music with someone that insecure....
  16. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Our singer is a karaoke queen. Luckily she had some band experience previously but she still goes out and sings karaoke every week. She actually uses it as a marketing tool for our band. She tells everyone there to come check us out to hear more, and she is really good (and really good looking so naturally everyone wants more lol)
  17. jaywa

jaywa

It may be that he curtails his control issues in your band context because of you and his close relationship. Whereas on the karaoke scene he has no such loyalties and is free to play the diva card to the hilt.
  18. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

They dont.

Unless they have LSD.
  19. powderfinger

powderfinger

OH.. and GET THIS PART..

He tells everyone at karaoke that he is in a band, and about his past career as a musician. Anyone who will listen!
  20. powderfinger

powderfinger

You know, it IS a good thing she is good looking. Because if I am at karaoke, and anyone who is there tells me they are in a band, my initial thoughts are, "ok hack... why are you here instead of with your band". I know that's unfair to think, but I can't take karaoke singers seriously. And ALOT of them actually LIE about being in bands. Ive known people at karaoke before tell me they are in bands, and come to find out they are liars!