Now that the cat is out of the bag, so to speak, I thought I'd start a new thread for my next build. My working title for this project is the "leafenbacker", though that's not set in stone at this point. First, a little background. My favorite bass of all time, before I finished the Reformer, was my mid 70's Mapleglo Rickenbacker 4001. I had it for a few years, and did much of my gigging with it. For some reason I can't remember, I traded it for a Fireglo Ric, which I subsequently traded for some kind of an effects box. Ah, the follies of youth. Anyway, I really miss it, and knew some day I'd replace it. That time has come. While working on the Reformer, I came across a set of templates for a 4001. So I ordered it, and it arrived in about 2 weeks. The templates sat around for a month or two while I made some decisions about the build. Since I like the Carvin neck I used in the Reformer so well, I'm going to order another for this build. Same as before, 24 frets, and a maple fret board, fixing 2 of the main issues I have with Rickenbackers in general. I've amassed a bit of maple wood, which I'm using for the body wings. I also picked up a piece of mahogany. I'll use that for the headstock wings and as a strip of contrast between the neck through and body wings. Searching around the net, I came across a picture of Lemmy's Ric. What a work of art! I'm not really familiar with Lemmy, or his band, but I really love the bass. In a real sense, it's quite radical with carved inlays and three pickups. So armed with the template and the pictures, I went to work. First, I made a template for the body wings. I've subsequently decided to cut off the control panel from the template, and add that on after, as I'd like to use neither a pick guard or a rear control cavity cover. I'd like to make the control cover front mounted, for a cleaner look front and back. I may have to be creative with the pickup wiring routing. Since I don't know that I can carve oak leaves or acorns, I searched the net for something pre-made, and came across these: They're a little pricy at $20.00 each (so that's $60.00 of onlay), but I ordered a set to see how they might work. I'm thinking I'll need 2 more sets of three to complete the look. I cut out the body wings from the maple, and sanded them to shape. I had to route in the onlay locations, so I started by marking it out, and doing some work with a forstner bit. After routing it, I laid in the onlays. So that's where I am now. I'm going to have to pay down the credit card after my Reformer build and the holidays before I can order the neck and more onlays. I'm thinking of going with 3 Classic Amplification pickups, wired to 3 volume controls - no tone controls or pickup selection switch. I may look at the humbucker Rick pickups, but the availability seems to be spotty. Oh, and for the bridge, I'm thinking of using one of the Kahler Tremolo bridges - I think it matches the radical nature of the bass. There's a few issues that I'll have to work out before that's set in stone. I still have to route out the other body wing, and cut the mahogany strips, but short of that, I'll have to wait for fund availability before moving forward again.