Learning acoustic guitar with 'bass fingers'?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ridethespiral, Dec 29, 2013.

1. ridethespiral

ridethespiral Supporting Member

I've been itching to get an acoustic guitar for the longest time and finally did on Friday. I understand getting used to finger positioning and using a pick is going to have its inherent learning curve, but what about finger picking? Am I ever going to be able to pluck this tiny strings with my 'clumsy' bass fingers?

I'm trying to learn Opeth's In My Time of Need which is moderately fast but easy. I can't pick it worth a damn and when I fingerpick I'm always hitting other strings with my nails and it's driving me nuts!

2. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Start slow and work up. Watch others who did it right.

It's very physical.

Take lessons. Find a good finger picker and trade bass lessons.

3. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

I also play uke, mandolin and guitar, its no big deal.

4. sm49341

sm49341

I took on acoustic to a more serious level about 3 years ago. Your fingers will adjust. But you need to spend real hours. I still struggle with pick holding, it moves. I have went to a lighter pick, line 0.50 or even 0.43.
    Finger picking, start slow and do it right. Then you will be able to speed up. A reall good finger picking song that is basic easy to learn is landslide by fleet wood Mac. To be honest tho, my finger picking needs a lot more work.
    I guess it's like this. On bass you generally learn songs. On acoustic, you learn technique and song. Its very rewarding.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Oddly enough, when soloing, I like to play the guitar fingerstyle like its a bass haha.

For fretting and flat picking, there's a huge learning curve. But once over the curve, it's pretty easy. Learning how to make clean sounding barre chords is super beneficial!

Good luck! I got serious about learning guitar after playing bass for a year, and now I'm only playing guitar. Come 1/1/14 my basses will not have left my bedroom in exactly one year.

7. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

I'm in the opposite boat having taken up bass recently after 30+years with guitar. You just have to approach it as a new instrument although your fretboard knowledge will carry over (apart from that odd third interval between the G and B strings). Start slow and work on playing clean. Speed will follow. If you play bass finger style you'll find that your right handdexterity will help on guitar. Learn both finger style and with a pick. Hold the pick lightly, like with chop sticks. You'll find yourself dropping it less and less as you practice more.

8. Schlyder

Schlyder

LOL guitars are too damn tiny.
    I've always been a bassist. My twin brother plays guitar. Tried his guitar many times over the years. They have never felt right. hahahaha