1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Learning to speak Celtic

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Nov 13, 2012.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Been thinking about learning to speak Celtic. Where I would find the time I don't know. Also living here in San Francisco I can't think of a practical reason to learn Celtic. I just think it would be cool to learn the language my ancestors spoke. Can anyone think of a pracitcal reason the learn Celtic? Any reason will help. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
  2. RitchS

RitchS Supporting Member

I got nuthin'.
  3. nickbass79

nickbass79

Do you mean Gaelic?
  4. slobake

Yah, Yah, that's it. You see, I know so little about it I don't even know what it is called.
  5. nickbass79

nickbass79

6. nortonrider

nortonrider

7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Practical reasons? I guess so you can read the Tain bo Cuailgne in the original, or pronounce Slainte correctly. That would be about it.
  8. slobake

That't good enough for me. Thanks Robert I knew you would come through. BTW what's the Tain bo Cuailgne?
  9. JFOC

JFOC

The irish illiad. About a cattle raid & reprecussions, and is the story of the epic hero Cú Chulainn

I've heard that it is a difficult language to learn. On the plus side? You get to have Craic! (means a good time)
  10. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw Supporting Member

Irish is actually on the rise again back in Ireland - it used to be that to actually hear anyone use it, you had to go to tiny villages in the northwest of the country our out to the Aran Islands or something, but Gaelscoils (Irish-speaking schools) are getting very popular and most people raised in Ireland know some Irish, even if they don't use it on a day-to-day basis.

I believe Rosetta Stone do a good course in it, and I'm sure you'll find some local language groups - a quick Google turned up this group on Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/SanFranciscoIrishCulture/events/78471402/

And yes, it's pretty tricky to learn. :)
  11. slobake

Thanks Rusty, I know the place.
  12. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Scottish Gaelic is pretty dead in the water, though a friend of mine did study it at university (for some reason).
  13. Mossiebass

Mossiebass

I'm Irish, and believe me, you don't need to put yourself through this. Sure, everyone in Ireland has a few words as gaeilge but I think I've had maybe one (?) conversation in Irish ever. It's unbelievably difficult and varies so much. If I tried to speak Irish with someone in the West, we'd be speaking different languages completely. And I've been forced to study it for almost 15 years.
  14. bmc

bmc

We get the Irish feed of Sky TV here and they a have quite a few Gaelic programs, including a daily news feed.
  15. Big Dog Johnson

Big Dog Johnson

If You are Irish, I think You should be able to speak Your own language. Who else would? I think it´s great that You are interested! Know Your roots!!

Besides, my friend Eoin says that once it was forbidden in Ireland to speak gaelic and thats the reason it almost disappeared. The bigger the reason not allowing it to disappear...

Just my 2c
  16. Mossiebass

Mossiebass

It vanished because we needed to find work, and English was the language of industry. The Irish language taught now is completely different from what was spoken back then anyway.
  17. seventhson

seventhson

Rosetta Stone has Gaelic.
  18. carlos840

carlos840

19. Nahguavkire

Nahguavkire

Firstly no Irish person will ever refer to the language as "gaelic". You can call it gaeilge or Irish.

Secondly Tain bo cuailgne in it's original form would have been written in old Irish so you won't be able to read it after learning a "cupla focail as gaeilge".

It's a nice idea to be able to learn it but realistically unless you find someone to speak it with it's utterly pointless. Your best bet is to look around the San Francisco area for a GAA club or Irish club of some sort.

Luckily for you due to the recession and all 'round useless economy in Ireland at the moment there has been mass emigration so there are an awful lot of Irish clubs and GAA clubs setting up shop worldwide.

Failing that...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=http://www.icccsf.org/
  20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So you could be more like Fassa.