1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Learning upright necessary?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by ELITE55, Feb 6, 2013.

1. ELITE55

ELITE55

Hi I've been playing electric for 6 years (24 years old) and I've decided I want to go all in and make music my career/life. I'm really interested in working cruise ships for a little while and going from there. I'm also looking into the military. I'm about to attend the players school of music in Florida this spring to advance my electric skills but I'm really considering adding upright. So do you think it's critical that I learn upright if I want to have a successful career?
  2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

If you don't really care what kind of music you play, then it is way to expand the possibilities for gigs. How accomplished you'll need to be on each is pretty contingent on where you are located, the more competition for gigs, the better you'll need to be. There ar eplenty of folks out there, however, who have made either a life or a career, sometimes both, playing only one or the other.
  3. EricssonB

EricssonB

Enlisted age cutoff is 27 last I checked.
  4. tcl

tcl

Especially since a URB is not great on a cruise ship - no space! Personally, I think playing the upright is a labor of love because it's a great challenge and sounds GREAT to me, but, probably not that important to a lot of folks. That said, one of my teachers tried to substitute an Eminence EUB at his Asian festival and was told "no way" because it didn't look right. He had to put up with whatever rented instrument they handed him. Still, learning to play the URB takes most folks a few years to gain competence so it's not for the faint of heart.
  5. ELITE55

ELITE55

Cool thanks for the help! I think I'll attend the school this spring and then ill decide if it would be worth adding it as my second
  6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

TCL that's not really accurate, the last boat gig I did for Seabourne was all upright.
  7. EricssonB

EricssonB

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

**** it, let's play 4 to the bar...
  9. natbers78

natbers78 Supporting Member

You need to double for military bands.
  10. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

There's a couple military bass players on the forum (Pacman, and Leo). IIRC, they double on both EB and DB. I've met Leo and I vaguely remember him telling me there was another bassist in his band who was EB only. My impression is that DB is not required.
  11. RDUB

RDUB Supporting Member

A couple of things for the OP. If you plan to make a living at playing bass, then you should give doubling on upright some very serious thought. It will open up more avenues in theatre and jazz gigs, for example.

Anything that limits you, like only playing your favourite kind of music, will directly impact your pay cheque.

Personally, I look at different types of music as a challenge, and I really like the variety.
  12. ELITE55

ELITE55

Ya I'm very tempted to pick up upright but since I'm 24 I feel like I would have to put electric aside if I wanted to get good by the time I reached 26,27. I guess you could say I'm impatient but I would just have to put that much more time into it if I wanted to be great at both.
  13. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Haha, you would be halfway good by 27. Better start now.