1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Learning Upright: Song Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by LowEnd88, Nov 10, 2012.

1. LowEnd88

LowEnd88

Hey, recently I've ventured into the world of upright bass. I've played electric, and gigged with electric for a number of years. I'm taking lessons and am mostly doing exercises and jazz (learning easy melodies), but am having a tough time being inspired to practice. My instructor mostly gives me songs from The Real Book to learn but was wondering if there were some enjoyable beginner songs you would recommend (not jazz)?

I'm just looking for a more enjoyable way to supplement my practicing. I played peggy lee's fever tonight and had a great time doing it.

Thanks!

2. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

I'm learning out of the Simandl book in addition to jazz stuff. Everybody says Simandl is boring, but I've found it a fun intro to "classical" sounding stuff. Most of the little etudes are basically scale exercises and they focus on different keys every couple exercises. They there's the 30 Etudes book that has longer, musical stuff in it. So even though it's not like some music I would go and listen to (though playing w/ the bow's made me appreciate classical music more), it's really rewarding to get it right.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I hope that he's giving you more to work on than just songs. What else are you working on?

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member

I think only you can say what music you like - none of us can tell you what it is, that will inspire you.

I often find it strange when I go to Jazz workshops and I meet people who say "I don't really like Jazz" - although I am too polite to say it, I always feel like saying - well why did you come here then!?

The only reason I play music is because I love it and it inspires me - otherwise I wouldn't bother...:eyebrow:

I don't mean to be "harsh" - but I think you have to consider where you are going - what is it that you want to get out of these lessons and what music you see yourself playing? Presumably that is the kind of music you should be trying to practice.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

Agreed. First comes the love, then the ears. Then you learn to play.

7. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

I think some people sort of assume higher level education in music just kinda comes in jazz-form. Like, they're going to get serious about modes so they can shred whatever.

Not saying this about the original poster.