1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Leather MF 2.5" strap $4.50 shipped

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by gastric, Dec 20, 2012.

1. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
  2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Maximum length 52"?

Sorry. :rollno:
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

That's average to long. Most "short" labeled straps stop about 6-8" below that, most "long" about 6" after.
  4. JPMacJones

JPMacJones

Looks like they're sold out.
  5. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

6. JPMacJones

JPMacJones

Thanks for the heads up on the Perri's straps. Just ordered a couple for the ukulele's I know I'm getting for X-mas (don't tell the wife and kid I found them!).
  7. johnp352

johnp352 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Gallien Krueger, S.Duncan, Dredgetone, Pigtronix,DTAR
    are the MF bass bags any good? $15 shipped with the coupon is almost free..
  8. JPMacJones

JPMacJones

Depends on which one. I've had a couple that were just OK, not a lot of padding.
  9. johnp352

johnp352 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Gallien Krueger, S.Duncan, Dredgetone, Pigtronix,DTAR
    thanks Mac..these are the de-luxe bags..good reviews.
  10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Only if they're leather, when they have to make extra sure they don't waste an inch and go bankrupt. :rolleyes:

Actually, 54" seems to be the average maximum length for quality leather straps (which is bad enough). Cheap house-brand stuff like this is always worse. I looked at this stuff hard trying to find a useful strap of decent quality leather before my hand accident ended any possibility of ever gigging again anyway. Cheap synthetic straps almost always are at least 58", which is the absolute minimum length that ever worked for me, and only on some basses at that.

So, that explains why over the decades I never managed to have a leather strap. :meh:

I once came into a used bass from somewhere that had a beautiful leather strap in the case. Unfortunately, the jackass who owned it cut it down to about 38". :eek:

I guess he was really sold on that famous "fusion geek" under-chin playing position fad. :D
  11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Not everyone's tall or "big boned" either though- I'm only 5'8", and my straps max at 37" (Comfort Strapp short) and still sit about halfway down my torso.
  12. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Not all of us wear our instruments hanging to our knees. :p

Just to clarify - we're talking about a $4.95 MF leather strap here. Not a $50 Italia leather strap.
  13. Bongolation

Bongolation

I'm tall, have a very long torso and a thick upper body.

A 60" strap puts a P or J Fender bass on me right about where most people seem to wear it.

Just to clarify, we're talking about a strap that's too dang short. ;)

But at least they state the length, which is a lot more than most offerings do.
  14. JdoubleH

JdoubleH Scented meat Supporting Member

I just picked up one of these 3.5" Perris Leathers straps for $10.19 (its been around that price all month, just went up to $24.89).
    http://www.amazon.com/Perris-Leathers-P35STIT-A-3-5-Inch-stitching/dp/B0083EFFMS/

It is fairly nice supple leather, two layer, stitched edges. The leather is fairly thin, and I'm not sure the under side layer is actually leather. But for 10 bucks, it seems to compliment my freaking awesome $129 SX Fretless P bass very nicely. My biggest issue purchasing was figuring out if it was blue, black or brown, since the product description doesn't say, I couldn't find them anywhere else, and Perris Leathers doesn't seem to have a musical instrument product website- just horse stuff. Durability should be fine as long as I leave it on the bass, but would likely shorten if I put it on and remove it frequently (since it is two ply with a faux suede back - I think)

I also ordered one of these Planet Waves 2.5" straps as well, for $11.90:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037M62KA/

It is a little thicker, slightly stiffer, single layer, suede back, with no stitching. Durability looks very promising. Very good deal that one.

Leather straps are kind of tough to mail order if you are picky about the feel and quality of the leather. No two cows are alike. But if you are just looking for a good bargain, either of these two are probably worth your time and money.

**** Edit- some other Perris Leathers deals still available: This 3.5" Perris Leathers strap is currently $9.59 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083EKAQ4/
    Color? Looks black, but could be dark blue.

This one is 2.5" brown one is $10.21 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083EF280

This maybe gray 2.5" one is $8.69 http://www.amazon.com/Perris-Leathers-P25DLX-I-2-5-Inch-Leather/dp/B0083EHIA0

This 2" suede one is $7.54 http://www.amazon.com/Perris-Leathers-P20S-210-2-Inch-Guitar/dp/B0083EEPUG/
  15. Bongolation

Bongolation

Warning: These are even shorter than the short one in the OP, with an overall length of only 51".
  16. JdoubleH

JdoubleH Scented meat Supporting Member

The longest position on my Perris Leathers 3.5" mentioned above is 53", which puts my P bass fingerboard just out of reach on my rather average 5'9" 170lb frame with the neck parallel with the floor. I can reach it if I slump over or angle the neck drastically upward. If you prefer your bass on the floor, why bother with a strap? Just sayin'.
  17. kenstee

kenstee Supporting Member

IMO these straps are second to none for comfort and looks...http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/mono-cases-gs1-betty-guitar-strap And they are worth EVERY cent! And even better with a coupon/discount of course....

Always amazed me that there were two critical pieces of gear so many players scrimp on especially when $20 or so more buys you so much more in terms of comfort and safety. YMMV.....
    - Straps (I'm a Mono "Betty" man for this)
    - Guitar/bass stands (I like the Hercules line for this)

If you follow the sales you can get some nice deals for both.
  18. morrisonhendrix

morrisonhendrix Supporting Member