1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Leather Strap Comfort

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by prater, Dec 26, 2012.

1. prater

prater Supporting Member

I got my first leather strap for Christmas today, my girlfriend picked it out and I love the design! But the loop/cinch adjustment part sits right against my lower back and is very distracting when I wear it. It feels like someone is standing there with a finger poked into my back, doesn't hurt or anything but is distracting enough to call it uncomfortable.

I have the receipt and she wouldn't be offended if I exchanged it but before I do I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this or has any tips to make it more comfortable.

Also I was curious if all leather straps do this if so maybe I will stick with nylon.

Thanks!
  2. Scott Sauna

Scott Sauna

I got a leather strap as a gift also. I have a Epiphone Thunderbird bass and the neck dive wasn't too horrible but the weight of the bass was getting to me. Upon equipping the strap, I felt instant back and shoulder relief as well as a solution to the neck dive.
  3. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

turn your strap around or flip it over (rough side out)
  4. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

Sounds to me like you might have your strap on too tight. Adjusted correctly, none of the straps I've ever used have sat against my back.
  5. prater

prater Supporting Member

Tried that, the strap is really thick leather, great for my shoulder!
    I'm wondering if this is something that will soften up, or if you just get used to it, here is the strap I have

[​IMG]

The fold over the adjustment holes is what is sitting against my back just enough to bug me a little bit, after I take the bass off I can still feel that spot on my back. I'm weird about stuff like that though, so maybe I'll just deal with it, or swap that bottom extender piece out with a thinner leather from a cheap strap.
  6. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work Supporting Member

Try switching which end is attached to the bottom pin/top pin.
  7. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Lindsey Basses - maker of XBass cables
    Try reversing the extender/tail. Perhaps that will help??? It looks like you have the tail mounted backwards to me :confused:... perhaps, if you are going to the last slot... less bulge.
  8. JamesGoodall

JamesGoodall

I've been playing those style straps (I think same brand) for years and they've never bothered me...If I can ask, do you play with the strap as long as it goes?
  9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

You can try moving the tail end up one notch and encouraging the end which the tail goes through to lie flat.

Are you really a big guy? Or playing a large-bodied instrument? Usually the bottom end of the strap wouldn't be near a spot on your back which would allow you to feel the strap end...but either of those could change the spot where the tail end hits your body.
  10. prater

prater Supporting Member

Here is a picture of me wearing it, this is my first leather strap and I'm thinking I may just need to wear it in so it will soften up. You can see the spot where the tale connects to the strap sits against my back/side, it feels like a knot pressed against my body. I'm not a big guy but have a little extra weight in my midsection and play about waist level, but I can't image even if I was playing at chest height that it would change where the fold sat against my back.

I'm a bit surprised nobody has ever experienced this, maybe the strap I have is just too thick.

[​IMG]
  11. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

That is pretty low to wear a bass IMO. I fatigue faster when I wear it that low. That aside, I think you are wearing it low enough that it wouldn't matter what strap you had, unless you find one that has a really small tailpiece on a much bigger (main part) strap.
  12. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Reverse the direction of the loop through the notch in the strap so that it comes out the side away from your body.

If that doesn't work, just buy a Comfort Strap.
  13. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Um.... based on the pic, the simple solution would be to turn the adjustable part OUTWARDS. In other words, the part on your shoulder stays the same. But the "bump" where the small part passes through the big part gets turned to the outside. Seems pretty easy to me. Also, you could set something really heavy on it for a day or two and some of the "bump" should go away as well.
  14. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Just wear it in. It will soften up and you will get use to it.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Go with this.
  16. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

If these bug you like they bug me, I don't think you ever get used to it. I have a well worn-in vintage factory 70's leather strap that matches my vintage Musicman and that loop bugs the crap outta me when I use it. No matter what, that lump is there.