Leaving band...I own half the PA!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jonas_24112, Feb 6, 2013.

1. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

I will be leaving my current band soon, very soon. For another band or to take a break and do sub gigs. I own half the PA and all the lights. Band Leader has mixer, mains, and one monitor.

For what the band does, if they got a bass player with a larger rig (I only run a Markbass 112 as monitor and DI to PA), they could keep on going. Rhythm player has some crappy wedges and powered mixer they could add back in for floor monitors.

I would be open to letting them use my PA gear (no lights) for maybe 30-60 days for free to help them out, but am a small bit worried they would not take care of them. BL has been using my monitors for his new acoustic duo and said one is popping, but has not positively identified it so I can pull it out and get it fixed.

If they ask to be able to continue to use my PA equipment (subs, amp, xover, eq) what do you think would be fair demands for use of the equipment?
  2. carl h.

carl h.

Out right sale or it goes with you.

The potential for mayhem is too great. You must be leaving for a reason so why would you leave your gear with them?

If they can't afford to buy it from you, how will they replace/repair it?
  3. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Yea, pick a price for them to buy you out, sell it, or take it. Don't tap-dance around the issue or make an unnecessarily complicated, risky or drawn-out arrangement.
  4. aguacateojos

aguacateojos Supporting Member

I was in a similar situation earlier this year - four-piece band bought a PA together, band broke up. One person wanted to keep it so he bought out shares... I never did get my money back but we're friends and still play together (using said PA) so I'm not too concerned.

Do what feels right.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Muttleybass

Muttleybass

Ditto. It's surprising what people think they are entitled to just because they've been using it regularly.
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Yup, these 3 posts pretty much sums it up.

If you want more headaches go for it. Otherwise take it home or sell it.
  8. baba

baba Supporting Member

^^ What these guys said.
  9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Another +1.

Don't loan it to them, you very well might not get it back.
  10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

+1

Id say its most often in ones best interest not to loan out gear to a band you are leaving.
  11. buzzbass

buzzbass Supporting Member

I'd say they can buy you out, or you take your stuff and leave. No middle ground here, there are too many potential hassles involved otherwise.
  12. Already In Use

Already In Use

Repeat of the above IMO. It's good business. Sell out or take your gear.
  13. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

At the very least you'll have half your cables ruined and the other half missing or replaced with cheap crap.

Ask me how I know :)
  14. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Nothing more needs to be said.

Close thread.

But good luck! (that was three more words)
  15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Agreed. They buy it or you take it home.
  16. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Take your "half" of the P.A., stage left OR stage right, just to mess with 'em

(yes, i know you were speaking about a different "half" but that's what I though of when I saw the thread title)
  17. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I really don't need to read any further. First guy to reply nailed it.
  18. temmrich

temmrich Supporting Member

Um.. if you only own half, you are no more entitled to take it than they are. You buy them out or they buy you out. Those are the real options. If neither can afford it (which is probably why two people own it) then you have to come up with a compromise. Get with the other half owner (this means you have to leave on good terms if for no other reason than you need him to return your calls) and figure it out. You're better off talking to them, they know you, than talking to a bunch of guys that have no vested interest in the outcome.
  19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 sounds like great advice to good to me
  20. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Wrong. Nobody has rights to property of which you own. Does your carpool buddy have rights to your car just because you lift him to work everyday? Seriously. Unless the OP and band mates signed a contact on rights to the pa.....kinda like a prenup, then if he bought it, it's his gear. End of story.
  21. carl h.

carl h.

I think he is going on the premise that the band bought the PA and the OP paid for half of it - not that they each individually bought specific parts of the PA system. I read it as the OP owns specific pieces of equipment.