1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Leaving gear at a house for jamming

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Anyone ever have anyone pull a fast one with your gear? Like sell it in between the this jam and the next? Pull out of the new project and refuse to allow you to pick up your gear? Never been a problem for me but I was wondering what recourse if any is to be had should I ever deal with this.
  2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

Not me personally. I have some friends who used to be in a band together. They left their gear at their drummers house. Drummers tweaker sister went and pawned some of it. They ended up getting the gear back, but I dont remember how.
  3. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

The police or your personal preference of kneecap breakers are the best way to go.

Never had anything like this happen to me but I also try and work with the more upstanding members of society and try and conduct myself likewise.
  4. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

If you are worried about the safety of gear in a practice space, just leave nothing there except your cab. If the only cabs you own are expensive ones then go buy a cheap used one to leave there.
  5. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

If I had a weird feeling about leaving gear somewhere, then the last thing I would do is actually leave gear there. That's why I love my portable, minuscule, yet surprisingly loud genz 6.0-12 combo.
  6. smogg

smogg

I never leave my gear anywhere, ever!
  7. Stumbo

Stumbo Supporting Member

Lots of cheap cabs on Craig's List. Or maybe pickup a small, light weight head/cab you load out in one trip with your bass.
  8. parsons

parsons

I have only left gear where I know there is limited access and where I have access to it.
  9. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

I am with you on that.
  10. Biggbass

Biggbass

^ this^

Got a friend who left his old vintage Fender Twin at a rehearsal place for a while and was victim to amp speaker theft. Turns out the guy in his band that played the organ had gone up to the rehearsal place one night with some crap speakers from home and switched them out with the speakers in the Fender Twin. The switch was eventually discovered and the original speakers recovered. Gawd I hate thieves. Especially that kind of thief...Your own band mate. But the organist got what was coming to him and was never heard from again. I think he actually left town.
  11. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

He stole the speakers out of the amp? Man that's slimy.
  12. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Hey man, I had a quad of RCA black plates...where did these Ruby Tubes come from?
  13. spaz21387

spaz21387

never had any gear go missing. now we practice in our drummers basement the only thing I leave there is a bass in a hard case.
  14. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Yup - something big and heavy, that'll get pretty loud, for under $200, then park it there...

- georgestrings
  15. Hybrid_Moments

Hybrid_Moments

I haven't had gear come up missing but I have had a band member let everyone jam on my rig when I wasn't around. Not cool. I never leave anything anywhere anymore. I'm in two bands now one band rehearses at my house the other band at the drummers house. The drummer in the other band has a old beat up fender bxr there so I use that with my line 6 pod for rehearsal
  16. NWB

NWB

So, I take it you don't hang out with musicians?:p;)
  17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Never had anybody steal anything, or think about stealing anything, but I took a gig years ago for some friends and they paid me in the bassists old rig that he left behind and since he refused to answer their phone calls and he fell off the face of the earth I do not think he is missing them.

I also bought a Marshall combo for $40 since it was left at buddy's house and the guy who left it owed him money and refused to answer his calls, I paid the $40 he was owed and took the amp home with me.

A drummer friend of mine used to jam with some guys he worked with, they quit that job and disappeared and the drummer couldn't contact them for months. This went on until he had a week to move, once he moved with the stuff there was really no way for them to find him and he had tried and given up on finding them. They ended up calling him 2 days before he moved out of the blue and came to get their gear.
  18. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire Supporting Member

Really? You mean you carry it around all the time? Wow.
  19. Filkarri

Filkarri

I sometimes leave a small practice amp at the house we rehearse at, but I trust the guys who live there implicitly.
  20. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

I set that one up for the easy dunk, didn't I?:p