Leaving the bass in the car

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J.Nuno, Jan 22, 2013.

1. J.Nuno

J.Nuno

One day every week I have to take my bass to work, so that in the end of the day I can take it to my lesson. The thing is, at work the car is parked outside and I was wondering if leaving the bass there all day could harm the bass.
    Right it has been raining a lot, but when sunny days come, should I take it inside with me?

Note: The bass is in a bass bag (not hard case) and is on the trunk of the car. Cold days: 8-17 ºC , Hot days: 25-30 ºC.
  2. dreads311

dreads311

I'd be careful. I would leave my MusicMan in the car and the fluctuation of hot and cold caused the finish to start cracking and peeling. Plus you can warp the neck if its humid/moist enough. Leaving it for a day or overnight here and there won't do it but (from firsthand experience) wouldn't make a habit out of it. When in doubt, bring it inside.
  3. saustindavis

saustindavis

I asked my luthier years ago about how to pack my guitar for a long road trip and he told me to put it in it's case, then put the whole thing inside of a sleeping bag in order to regulate the temp and humidity a little better.
  4. BassAgent

BassAgent

I'd never ever ever ever ever do that. The outside temperature might be 25-30 degrees centigrade, but your car heats up when it's in the sun. Same goes for cold days. Plus: what if it got stolen?

Take it with you as much as you can. Amps can be left in a car (well, not when the car's cooking inside) but basses don't like that.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wallace320

Wallace320

Yet, moisture aside (there's no trace of that data in the OP post) the temperatures he mentioned aren't that harmin' at all.

By the way, the advice to keep it with you whenever you can,
    is the best possible.

Cheers,
    Wallace
  7. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

8. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

You already know the answer to this.
  9. J.Nuno

J.Nuno

It won't get stolen, the parking lot has security guards :)

But, based on your advice, either way I think it's better to bring it inside and keep it in the locker (although summer time seems more alarming than the current cold season).
  10. johnson79

johnson79

11. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Bring it inside, treat it like your girlfriend.
    Hell I won't even leave my ski boots in the car.
  12. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I wouldn't. I would not worry so much about it bewing stolen as I would about it being damaged.. There must be somewhere you caan leave it inside.
  13. treekiller

treekiller

You wouldn't leave a child or a pet in the car that long, your basses shouldn't be left there either! :cool:
  14. swedbass

swedbass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: F Bass, TecAmp
    The key is to keep the environment as consistent as possible to minimize stress on the neck. It probably Ok to leave it in the car on an overcast day with no rain. Sun will easily heat the car interior to 50 C or so, rain will inevitably add moisture. It is however unlikely there will be any permanent damage unless you expose the instrument to sudden temperature changes.
  15. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

I left my bass in the car once. I haven't seen it since.

Why can't you just bring it inside at work? Why take a
    chance of weather or criminals messing with it?
  16. gordon5377

gordon5377

I used to be in the same situation: I'd bring my gear to work once a week and go directly to rehearsal. I never left my guitar in the car, regardless of the weather. EVER. Sure, the people at the reception desk look at you a little funny carrying your briefcase, lunch, and a guitar case (or gig bag). But it's worth the piece of mind that it will not get stolen and there will be no negative effects from the weather, hot or cold. Look at it this way: leaving it in the car will not make your bass player any better and are you certain that it will not affect it?

Besides, having your bass in the office is a conversation starter for the new accounting intern, who happens to be female and kinda cute. :D
  17. Wallace320

Wallace320

Yeah, same cute female who considers you weird (not tellin' you) and who starts that said conversation with usual, annoyin': "... so can you play the electric guitar?":rollno:

Cheers,
    Wallace
  18. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I live in Canada... I NEVER leave a bass in the car for extended periods of time.

Even n the summer, stuff happens. I left my 1972 Jazz in the trunk overnight.... Gone n the morning.

Not worth riskng damage or theft over being seen bringing a guitar into the office .
  19. jbossolo

jbossolo

Treat it like a baby. Bring it with you. Everywhere.
  20. J.Nuno

J.Nuno

Thanks far all the answers guys.

To be honest, being a shy guy, this probably the biggest problem for me :). I do have a locker where I can put it or even next to my desk, no problem. I also have to carry the laptop bag, the lunch bag... but it's only once a week so I wont leave it in the car anymore!
  21. OUT51D3R

OUT51D3R

Do like I do. Bring it in with you and leave a practice amp at work too. :)