1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

left hand damping?

Discussion in 'Ask Adam Nitti' started by okcrum, Apr 10, 2014.

1. okcrum

okcrum in your chest Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    Hi Adam. I've wondered what you were doing from a technique standpoint on this intro:

The best I can do to that is play a little looser grip up on the frets, but I have to pay attention!

Thanks

2. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

I'm not sure what exactly Adam is doing there, but there are several ways to muffle the strings. Here are just a few....
    1) right hand, pluck with thumb and use fleshy part of palm to mute strings
    2) place a chunk of foam or felt under the strings next to the bridge and play normally
    3) with left hand, finger note with left hand first finger, but use other three fingers to lightly dampen the note--Rocco Prestia style.

3. okcrum

Disclosures:
    Yes, that's why I'm curious. None of those techniques work in this context.

4. adamnitti

adamnitti

Hey Chuck-

I'm actually using a plucking hand palm mute technique for that intro. Basically using the palm edge of my plucking hand as a damper on the strings just in front of the bridge. However, I use the technique in a way that is more 'open', meaning that I allow selected notes to ring out a bit longer or not be dampened at all in order to get them to bark a little more aggressively. I use this same type of technique on the intro of the tune "Evidence" from my Evidence CD.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. okcrum

Disclosures:
    Ah OK. Thanks! I was approaching it by using a single finger over the fret (towards the bridge) to get the muting action. Getting down on the bridge is the key bit I was missing trying palm muting.