1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Left Hand Fingerings

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mesaphlin, Feb 9, 2013.

1. mesaphlin

mesaphlin

Hello everyone,

I am just wondering that many bass guitar-related notations in several books come with tabs but few of them comes with the left hand fingerings.

Is there any way or method to find out what the left hand fingerings would be on a given piece or exercise with both regular notations and tabs?
  2. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

Not that I'm aware of. There's plenty of instruction books that do for whatever songs happen to be in those instruction books. I think you're going to be out of luck for the most part.

There's so many techniques and styles of fingering available different ones work better with different people. I've got a friend who's a great bass player, and he's got really long, double jointed fingers. Mine are much more stubby, and just regularly jointed. There's literally things that I can't do the same way that he can, and (to a lesser degree) vice versa.

As such, it's common for even pro guys who read music all day to sit down with sheet music, go through the song and pencil in notes about finger positions. When I do it, I'll literally write something like "5th fret upright position" or something like that where I need it.
  3. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton Gold Supporting Member

The idea of music is to show the notes, how you choose to play them is your job.
    Use one finger, or your thumb, use two or three fingers, use a pick etc, is all down to the player to decide what works for them and the music.
    Standard notation only shows the notes, where as tab shows the note and a position to play it on relating to the fretboard...so they show you one option.
    That is one of tabs flaws, it shows the writers preferred method not yours. The main reason TAB is even in the book is because the publishers want it. They know that the book will appeal to a wider range if it has tab, rather than only just SN. So in a way they popularise the use of TAB and add to its attractions, thus making it use more widespread, so almost making it a marketing ploy rather than an educational one.

You are expected to get to a standard where such things as fingerings do not matter, the art of learning to play your instrument to a high standard sorts out the best approach to use. :)