Left hand technique...Upright?

Discussion in 'Ask Doug Johns' started by kopio, Jun 18, 2012.

1. kopio

kopio

Hey Doug,

First let me say....I'm a big fan! I just "discovered" you about two months ago and I've really enjoyed your work.

Now to the question....

I was watching some of your Pedulla demos (most noticeably the Pentabuzz...my Holy Grail bass) and I was really impressed by your left hand technique. However, most of the time when I see that clean of technique it's when I'm watching an upright player. Did you start out as an upright player? If so, do you ever still play upright?

Also, what suggestions do you have for someone who wants to improve their left hand technique? I've really been trying to stick with one finger per fret as I move around the neck, but any pointers would be cool.

And finally....an off topic question...I know you are a serious gearhead....so, what's your favorite ride right now? Just curious!
  2. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

I just did a video search on youtube and I was seriously impress. You are the first 4 strings players that I ever saw that don't choke the neck by wrapping their thumb around it.
  3. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma Supporting Member

They both have different techniques. Upright uses only 3 fingers (index, mid and pinky), but if you go to thumb position thats a technique which isn't used on electric (unless you are Steve Bailey).

If you have smaller hands then the 3 finger technique from the upright helps a lot on electric because it gets your hand in a comfortable position. If you got larger hands and feel comfortable with 4 fingers then that would be the best way to go.

Upright helps, but don't think that only playing upright will help you develop an electric bass technique, they are very different instruments and you gotta realize that while switching from one to the other. That is why people who double on both are usually in pretty high demand.

And obviously the right hand is also different in technique.