1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Left hand thumb issue

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by mikejdexter, Jan 10, 2013.

1. mikejdexter

mikejdexter

When fingering notes with the left hand should there be
    slight pressure or a more positive pressure on the thumb?---to give a more solid note which would give more tone/volume of that particular note? More so than a thumb which is just 'skating' under the neck?
  2. Hector Wolff

Hector Wolff

Ideally you are not using your thumb to apply pressure.

Using the thumb and fingers in opposition to squeeze the string down onto the fingerboard tightens up the whole hand, leads to premature fatigue, and can lead to more serious injury. In my case I ended up with tendonitis in the left elbow and a perpetually sore thumb joint, until I learned to change the way I stop the notes.

You really can apply enough pressure for good tone by using the shoulder and arm to apply force through the hand and fingers into the strings to contact the fingerboard.

I don't claim to be able to totally disassociate my thumb from the process, but there are those who claim to be able to completely remove the thumb from contact with the neck.

You might find more in the Orchestra Technique section.