1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Left handed bass guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarshallNole, Dec 3, 2013.

1. MarshallNole

MarshallNole Supporting Member

Why are left handed bass guitars so hard to find? For some of the better ones, like Rickenbacker and others, how do you order them? It doesn't appear you can order directly from the company, and their dealers (Rickenbacker for example) don't have any leftys in stock. Do you just call the dealers and have them order you one or do you have ot luck out and find one?

I don't want to order used ones.
  2. J. Montgomery

J. Montgomery

I'm guessing that's a rhetorical question? Because there are not many left handed bass guitarists (or guitarists), the chances of selling a left handed bass is lower, and the company is not incentivized to make those products.

I'm personally left handed, but have always played bass right handed. It never even occurred to me to try a left handed bass when I was starting out, especially since you use BOTH hands to play.

Sadly for all the lefties, you're in a difficult situation in finding instruments.

And yeah, CALL the company, and/or distributor. You've got nothing to lose, and its easy.
  3. MarshallNole

It feels totally unnatural for me to play it right handed.
  4. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Regenerate Guitar Works
    Rickenbacker does left handed basses in limited runs sporadically and hasn't made lefty basses for a couple years before a very recent batch.

Find your local Rickenbacker dealer and call them and see if you can order a lefty 4003 and if so what the wait time currently is.

Not wanting to buy used will make your options further limited.
  5. MarshallNole

Is it uncommon to NOT want to buy used? I'll call the dealer.
  6. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    "Why are left handed bass guitars so hard to find?"

They're not. I'm left-handed and have over 50 basses, only a handful are righties.
  7. MarshallNole

8. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

I've had 45 basses, all used. Never got a lemon yet. Don't really get the 'no used basses' thing.
  9. Bob C

Bob C

Lefthanded guitars are not as plentiful as righthanded ones. But they are way more common than the were say 20 years ago.

Ask the dealer (online or local music store) if such-and-such comes in a lefty version. Many companies offer one or two models in lefthand. But find out up front if it's a special order with a long wait.

Online/mail order stores like musiciansfriend and sweetwater list right in their catalogs which lefty bases they sell.

Carvin, Warwick, Dean, ESP, Peavey, Fender, Music Man all sell many lefthanded models. Call Bass Central or Southpaw Guitars.
  10. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I'm Another like J. I'm left handed and play right handed. I really don't think left handed bassists are THAT rare. But many of us just learned to play right handed. So when you consider how many left handed basses are out there then you consider how many left handed bassists actually play left handed basses.There's just not much of a market to build left handed basses. Most of the left handed guys who play left handed that I've known either play cheap basses or get a custom bass.
  11. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

12. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

13. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

As a fellow lefty (who can't do much of anything right-handed), I feel your pain. Why are there "so few good ones"? Probably, IMO, because:
    -about 12% of the population (1 in 8) is left-handed:
    -at least half of them (probably more) have no trouble playing right-handed (some have already responded).

So, that makes us only about 5-6% of the market, and so, for some companies, we're just not worth the bother. Or, they make only a couple of models available. And, a lot of companies make you pay extra. Which, IMO, makes a strong case for buying used.

Bob C has listed several good brands that make lefties. I have a fine Carvin LB-20, for example. Fender does make leftys (although I find their selection disappointing); and as stated before, Rickenbacker has begun making them again, after a 7 year hiatus. Gibson made a run of leftys this year (I snagged a T-Bird 2 weeks ago), and has said they (probably) will again next year. There are actually quite a few others; you just have to snoop around some. And, of course, most custom builders will be happy to make you a lefty. My lefty Alembic is very nice. Boutique custom is a viable option, if you have the $$s.:D

As for not buying used, that's up to you, of course. In my case, what I wanted often meant used was the only choice. Kramer hasn't made an aluminum-necked bass in a looong time; same for a Rickenbacker 4001. And, some companies-like Gretsch- used to make lefty basses, but simply just quit. My '94 Broadkaster is the only lefty Gretsch bass anybody has ever seen, apparently. You do what you have to, to get what you want.

Anyway, good leftys are out there; we just have to look a little harder. And, sometimes, swallow our pride and buy used. ;)
  14. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    That's not my point, I'm not saying you're wrong to not want to buy used, just that wanting to buy new will make finding a Rickenbacker that much harder.
  15. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    PJMuck on leftybassist.com and here also has one.
  16. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

Good! Nice to know mine isn't the only one. I hate buying something, then finding out it's unique. Unusual? OK. Rare? I can deal with that. But not "the Only One". I'd been very reluctant to do anything to mine (the pots and, especially the ceramic Filtertron pickups in it, really suck); now I can do what needs to be done to it.
  17. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Can't help you find a bass (I'm a lefty who plays right handed). But it looks like you just joined. I just wanted to say WELCOME to TalkBass!

Oh, and I can offer up that I have owned several Carvin basses and they are outstanding instruments. They make lefties every day.
  18. Basshappi

Basshappi

Yes, welcome aboard.
  19. MarshallNole

Thanks a lot for the replies all, and also the welcome to these forums. I am a new bass player. I have been having so much fun with it. I never knew it would be this much fun (or this hard).

My last question is this:

Out of the ones listed that have many lefty models, do any sound SIMILAR to a Wal? What got me into bass guitar was listening to Justin CHancellor from Tool. I know none of these will sound like a Wal, but if any come even remotely close, perhaps I will look into those.

I've already been told a Rick 4003 has a very unique Wal-like sound, which is why I mentioned it.

Carvin, Warwick, Dean, ESP, Peavey, Fender, Music Man < -- any of these come close at all in sound to Justin Chancellor's Wal sound?
  20. andrew

andrew Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I wouldn't choose a Rickenbacker to replicate the Chancellor Tool tone.
    Without a Wal, I'd go for a couple effects pedals and a G+L L2000 to get Tool tone. Or a Musicman. But really you'll get there more easily with a pedal than the bass.

Dig around on this board, you'll find a gold mine of recommends and ways to get Chancellor Tool tone.

What pedals and amp are you using?