1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Left handed tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mordechai, Aug 25, 2011.

1. mordechai

mordechai Supporting Member

Anyone know of a place to get some cheap left handed tuners? I'm talking less than $40 cheap.

Chrome fender style 11/16ths

Thanks
    Mordechai

2. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Buy a 4 string bass from Rondo music, pull the tuners and part out the rest of the bass! Probably end up making you full money back!
    Or do the same thing, but on E-bay

4. mordechai

I wish I could afford to do that!

All I can find on eBay are the gotoh style tuners. I mean all the left handed fender clones must be getting their tuners somewhere, right?

I'm doing a build with a reverse headstock because I got the neck cheap, looks like I'm going to lose the savings in shelling out more than I wanted to for tuners. Now I see why southpaws often feel rage at whats available.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 96tbird

7. mordechai

Thanks! You've used those ones from that seller?

8. 96tbird

I have a set in my hands that I took off my Squier jazz. Identical. They work fine.

9. _chrispy

_chrispy

If you are buying open back tuners you can quite often buy right handed ones dismantle and reassemble the stems up the other way making them left handed... Hope that makes sense.

10. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

^This.

One does have to know what to look for when looking at the tuner though, so some knowledge is needed.

Regards
    Sam

11. ReverseFender94

ReverseFender94

How could you tell if they are reversible?

12. 96tbird

Open gear tuners that have plates that are bent into U shape that act as the key bearings seem to be reversible. All that I have had in my hands any way. Schaller, Gotoh, etc. are . As are the ones on eBay I showed in a previous post, Mighty Mites are. Most that have welded on bearing blocks (Hipshot for sure are not) or cast body (the set I have) are likely non reversible. Hope this helps.

13. mordechai

Very helpful! I ended up getting a set from a fellow tb'er. Stamped schaller licensed. The problem is a lot of the eBay stores selling cheaper tuners don't really photograph the parts you need to see.

14. Cougmeister

Cougmeister

15. T-Bird

T-Bird

16. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Unfortunately, there's no such thing as "left handed" tuners, just "bass side" and "treble side" (from a right handed bass's perspective).

But yes, many companies do make them reversible.

17. 1bassleft

1bassleft

Apart from the ones already suggested, Wilkinson tuners are reversible. Even the ones coming from China don't seem too bad for little money. I have a couple of Vintage necks (VST96 'ray copy and a Vintage Icon V4 P Bass) and I'm assuming they have Chinese Wilkinson tuners. They're decent, serviceable and hold the tune a heap better than an OLP's stock. About on a par with the Squier VM.