Left Handed Upright Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by NekoTheWolf, Oct 28, 2013.

1. NekoTheWolf

NekoTheWolf

Hi,
    To get things started I play jazz, I have no interest in the orchestra so being left handed wont be an issue on stage. Anyways, I play medeski martin and wood, Bèla fleck, chic corea, jazz fusion type stuff (never straight ahead or roots jazz, sorry, I'm a strange bird,) and I want to know a couple of things.

1. Should I get a standup for the styles of music I play?

2. How can I get my hands on an affordable LEFT HANDED standup bass (1000 or less preferably, but I can always save more)?

Any help would be appreciated. I never thought I'd ever play a standup, but I just have the itch to at least try it out.

Happy Bassing,

NW
  2. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    2 You wont. Learn to play right handed. I know it isnt what you want to hear, but you can do it. Someone else will probably elaborate why. I dont mean to make this a nasty thread but a right handed upright will be over a grand new or used, if in playable and useable condition. This isnt the electric bass world, or electric guitar world. Those instruments really skew the rest of the music world as far as instrument price.
  3. Frits

Frits

Hi,
    As Violen states, it is awkward but not unfeasable. I've had my hand carved left-handed double bass built between 1999 and 2002. Before that I played electric for years and a plywood upright (cheap version). You may want to start out on such an instrument just to try out if it works for you. Plenty of manufacturers offer these left-handed. Once you decide on a quality lefty, you'll know whenyou're ready. I certainly was!
    Best regards and succes!
  4. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

+1 for learning to play RH.

The only way I could imagine getting a LH DB under a grand is to buy a right handed one and convert it into a LH.

There's Thomann 1L 3/4 Europe at 849€ as the cheapest that I was able to find with a quick search.

Does it have to be acoustic though?

An EUB sounds like a perfect solution.

Regards
    Sam
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NekoTheWolf

NekoTheWolf

I'm not switching right handed, that's just not an option. I figured it'd be expensive based on size, build quality, etc. But they must be out there right? I mean, playing RH can't be my only option. I've been thinking about EUBs also. But that's not as "authentic." Lol
  7. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz-Benz Amplifiers
    There are reversed basses out there. The Uptons will make you a good quality new one if you want.

But, historically I don't think there's really been such a thing as a left-handed bass. Just like there's no such thing as a left-handed piano, or a left-handed house. Most of the lefty players that I know play on a normal bass and always have. You have vastly more options when it comes to buying and selling that way.
  8. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

That's very true.

How good, loud and balanced has the natural unamplified sound of the bass be?

I haven't obviously tried it since I'm a RH, but some people swear that most of the plywood BSO CCB's sound just the same regardless of which way they're strung, especially with weedwhackers.

Makes kind of sense, I can't quite imagine all those LH rockabilly guys owning a LH bass.

Regards
    Sam
  9. NekoTheWolf

NekoTheWolf

In a world like ours today you'd think that all that stuff would be available! Lol. I don't see why I couldn't find a left handed UB somewhere, I'll keep doing research, and maybe I will go the EUB route, after all most the music I play doesn't involve UB, so how authentic do I have to be?
  10. Sera Wohldmann

Sera Wohldmann

Look up Jennifer Leitham. She's played jazz on lefty double bass for decades, and could probably help you out. I'm on mobile app and can't tell your location, but she's in Pasadena, CA. If that's not good for you in person, she could probably answer your questions via Facebook, too, as she's active there.
  11. NekoTheWolf

NekoTheWolf

I live in Mobile, AL. Definitely not near Cali lol, I'll look into her though.
  12. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz-Benz Amplifiers
    Well, Upton Bass will make a reversed bass for you, and they make good basses.
  13. longfinger

longfinger

If you want a left handed upright bass, you can get one. They are out there, already built, or can be built for you and other lefties. They exist. Check out Golihur's site for affordable lefties...

You need to bring more money to the shopping party though...
  14. Seanto

Seanto

Enlighten a double bass newbie...isn't a double bass a symmetrical instrument? Wouldn't he just hafta to stand on the other side of the instrument, and maybe reverse the strings?

Edit: Google answered my questions...they are NOT symmetrical :)
  15. john m

john m Supporting Member

16. dieterdiettrich

dieterdiettrich

I've played lefty on electric for a while now, but when I picked up double bass a few years back I decided to just play righty. Seriously, never regretted it.
  17. dieterdiettrich

dieterdiettrich

LOL "she".... no disrespect meant ;)
  18. Blues56

Blues56

I've been playing electric bass left handed for over 25 years and when I decided to try a URB I looked at a lefty Shen SB80 for about $2000 fully setup. I then decided to rent a righty URB for two months before making a decision. Although my technique still needs some work I was able to play right handed fairly quickly. I then bought a vintage 1943 Kay for $1350 in great condition and it was the best decision I ever made. It might take time but you can do it. You will have a larger selection of instruments to look at and won't have to worry about resale if it doesn't work out. Anyway, good luck with your decision.
  19. Basshappi

Basshappi

20. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

21. NekoTheWolf

NekoTheWolf

I think I'll save 1500 and try out one of the NXT EUBs. An electric would be more appropriate for my genres anyways.