LEFT INDEX FINGERTIP NUMB

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Reiver, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Reiver

Reiver

I've noticed, for the past three or four weeks, that the tip of my left index finger has gone numb. During this time of not-entirely-consistent practicing, I've been pressing down on strings fairly hard. I'm still very new to this, don't have the hand strength just yet. I've also, until very recently, been severely bending my left wrist in order to maintain my thumb on the back of the neck. I'm stopping that foolishness now.

I guess I'm wondering... is this something that could have been brought on by overenthusiastic playing? I'm not noticing anything like this in my middle, ring, or pinky fingers... and I press down with those, too.

Is it possible there's something more serious going on, or is this the initial stage of building up callouses?

Thanks!

2. blindeddie

blindeddie

have you hurt your neck recently? my girlfriend herniated a disc in her neck last summer and lost feeling in her left index finger only

3. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Media:
    If it's a slight loss of feeling at the very tip of the finger (where your finger contacts the string), it could just be a callous. If it's the entire fingertip, down to the first knuckle or so, or anything other than just where you contact the string, you might want to see a doctor just to be safe.

4. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

You don't need to press down on the strings hard, whether you press down very lightly or softly doesn't make a difference in your sound. You only need to press down hard enough to get the note, that's it. Pressing down lightly will save your hands.

Gary Willis On Finger Pressure - YouTube

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. genericusername

genericusername

I got that for a bit when using my laptop, with the edge of the laptop pushing against my wrist. I stopped using my laptop that way and it went away.

7. basexperience

basexperience

Late post, this, but I've got the same symptoms after a gig this weekend, which was an utterly insane gig.

One of those "got the band back together" gigs where everything clicks (including the drinks) and you find yourself playing just... TOO DAMN HARD. for 2.5 hours! :hyper:

As a result, I've had a numb left fingertip for a couple of days now. Nothing else in the hand is numb, my finger appears to work fine, no typing problems...

So did your finger get better? You'd think I'd know better, I've been playing for over 20 years!