1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Lefty Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by GeorgeB, Aug 27, 2013.

1. GeorgeB

GeorgeB

Hi,

I'm looking for a lefty bass...tricky, I know...

Can anyone help??!! My budget is approximately £2000 (that's $3000 or so)

I've been considering the Thomann lefties...in some ways purely for convenience/budget...lefties are bloody difficult to come across, after all!

Which leads me to a 2nd question: Should I go for wood or ply? I mostly gig jazz and I do so several times a week.

Nice one!
  2. crgaston

crgaston

Forgive my ignorance, but is there any reason why one could not take any old righty and set it up for lefty with a new bridge? Is it a bass bar/sound post thing?
  3. GeorgeB

GeorgeB

Yes..my current bass is a righty setup as you say. And I must admit it doesn't sound too bad. But I play a lot, and I am intrigued to develop my ear/sound with the proper setup. Also, there's a curve on the fingerboard on my current bass...on the wrong side!!
    In a nutshell, as I play a lot, I'd like to have the thorough proper setup.
  4. LHbassist

LHbassist

I'M LEFTY...and a string bass luthier. I re-barred my bass to full lefty. Bob Gollihur should be able to help you. I'm in the luthier's directory on his site. Dave Edwards, Reno, Nevada, U.S.A.
    Good luck!

http://www.gollihur.com/
  5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Don't know if anything they offer would fit your budget well enough but, according to Upton's site, they'll build anything lefty for a flat extra fee of $500.
  6. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Formerly known as Francois Blais...
  7. GeorgeB

GeorgeB

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the replies. What a fantastic community of good people!
    However I must explain that I currently like in the UK!
    Apologies, I'm new and haven't yet set my location details...eek! Will do now..
    Thanks again, and will continue the search!
  8. Frits

Frits

Hi George, as you can see in the for sale ad (see link in previous post) I live in Belgium, which is not too far away from the UK, I would say. Just post me a message or call 0032 472 64 25 51
    Cheers, Frits