Lefty Englehardt ES1 for $400?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by pkstone, Feb 22, 2014.

1. pkstone

pkstone Supporting Member

This is my first time on the DB side, so go easy on me! I know of a lefty Englehardt ES1 available, supposedly in good condition, for somewhere between 3 and 4 bills.

Assuming it's a good fit, and checks out with a luthier, should I jump on this? I have seen reservations expressed about the neck profile on Engles, and they don't seem to be highly regarded here, but I've only done my initial research so far. Please tell me if I'm even in a good ballpark here.

I had always assumed that if I were going to start doubling, I'd either have to pay through the nose to find a lefty, or learn right-handed (which didn't work out for me at *all* on the electric, so let's not go there). I am excited about this opportunity to learn a beautiful new instrument, but don't want to let it cloud my judgement. Please advise! And thank you, from a DB newbie-hopeful...

2. pkstone

I should add that the bass is being sold by the child of someone who just passed on, and that they don't seem to know how to sell it, especially being that it is lefty; so, it should not be assumed that there is something wrong with it for that low price. Seller indicates that it is "like new" but needs a new string.

3. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Are you left-handed? If you are, and are determined to play lefty (like only a tiny minority do) then grab it and figure out any problems it has later.

Two things could be happening here. The bass could have been purpose-built as a lefty, which would mean that the internal structure of the bass is the mirror image if a righty bass, with a supporting beam we call the bass bar under the E string which is where is should be.

Alternately, the bass could have been built as a righty but with the strings reversed for left-handed play, like Hendrix strung his guitars. If this is the case, the bass bar will be under the G string bridge foot and the sound post that runs horizontally between the top and back will be under the E string bridge foot.

This is not ideal, at least for unamplified playing, because when the strings are pulled away from the bass bar the sound will be weak. If the second case is true and you're determined to play lefty, it's probably better than not playing the doublebass at all. Especially if it only costs you $350.

4. pkstone

Yes, I'm extremely left-handed. :) I will try to determine if it's a purpose-built lefty. Can the supporting beam and/or sound post be seen by peering through the f-holes?

Thank you for pointing this out.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

I'm the only righty in a family of southpaws, so I'm used to it.

You will be able to look through the ff-holes and clearly see the soundpost, and you can reach through the holes to feel the bass bar. It's a big obvious piece of spruce.