Legitimacy of High Intensity Internval Training (H.I.I.T.)?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Unrepresented, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    For those unfamiliar, there's a growing belief that super intense bursts of extreme exercise are more valuable than lengthier more moderate ones.

I'm curious what the plethora of biological, health, and medical experts running around TBOT have to say about how legitimate it is compared to the more conventional approach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training
  2. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Legitimate. Look at CrossFit and the results that people get there.

lowsound
  3. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome

Any exercise is "more valuable" than whatever your body is used to doing. At one point or another, any form of exercise becomes better than every other form. Until your body adapts. Then you'll need to change again.

From what I've seen, people focus far too much on their type of exercise & get caught up in what works "best" & don't pay nearly enough attention to their diet.
  4. Unrepresented

Media:
    Sorry. Have to wash some Cheetos dust off my fingers before replying to this.
  5. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

It certainly works, but you need to use different training approaches for different goals.

But I must a admit, I haven't missed the shuttle runs + bodyweight exercises we did at training!

Big +1 to Darth Handsome that too many people get caught up in worrying about what is the best, when they aren't even giving considerations to diet. You also need to consider that the average non-gym goer (the type who often get caught up in all this concern about which is "best" all the time), it's going to have very little impact when they are just starting out!
  6. BullHorn

BullHorn

I've heard about it and wanted to try. I get bored during 5km+ runs.

Anybody knows of any such plan?
  7. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

There's this exercise program that will PAY you to get in shape! 2 months of Special High Intensity Training, followed by 46 months of free meals, close haircuts, and work junkets to exotic places like Afghanistan. ..
    Maybe I can get a job marketing for the U.S. military? ?
  8. Unrepresented

Media:
    I'm a "non-gym goer" but am probably more active than most on this board. Day job is typically nine hours of constant activity followed by a couple hours of volleyball most days.

I do a lot of aerobic activity, but not much anaerobic. Mostly looking to see if something like this could be a good supplement or if it's just hype.
    I know the military does a lot of grueling training but do they specifically do this really high intensity but extremely brief workouts?
  9. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I think it really just comes down to - what are your goals?
  10. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

This sort of workouts make your penis bigger than other workouts.
  11. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

It definitely works, but has some drawbacks.

First, it is for someone that is in decent condition already. If you are a couch potato or have any medical issues that affect your healing/recovery rate, it is definitely not for you and can cause serious problems.

Also, some people just don't do well with it...they seem to do better with less intense but more frequent exercise. It may have to do with a person's genetic composition of fast vs slow twitch muscle fibers.

And finally nobody (that isn't on steroids) can go for more than a few weeks without increasing the likely hood of tendinitis or other musculoskeletal injuries. So, the proper way to do it would be about 5 or 6 weeks of intense training, followed by a week or two of very light training. Then repeat the cycle over and over.
  12. Unrepresented

Media:
    [del]Be a better, healthier me. Not trying to lose weight, gain muscles, look good for swimsuit season, but if this is something that science says I've been overlooking and should implement, I'm open minded.[/del]
    That's what I'm after.:|
  13. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

14. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

To the OP, if you want a more reasonable variation to supplement your other activities, here it is. After a warmup do 1 set only to momentary muscular failure once a week for bench presses, row, lat pull down, squat, planks, and ab curl ups. That's it...anymore and you'll risk over training if you keep up your current program. You could do another workout of the same exercises a few days later, but only do half the reps. The trick is on the intense days to go absolutely all out, but using absolutely perfect technique.
  15. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome

H.I.K. (High Intensity Kegels) Ftw.
  16. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

Results like your muscles disintegrating into your bloodstream?

Have you seen The Pick of Destiny?
  17. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Not in a long time, is there a relevant scene I'm forgetting?
  18. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

The ****-up/disabling the laser.