Legos! (Nostalgia)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ggvicviper, Dec 28, 2012.

1. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

I'm feeling both creative and a bit nostalgic this holiday season. I started remembering the greatest toy I had as a kid - Legos. Never can I remember a toy so creative or imaginative. I started looking at some of the old ones online and it brought back memories.

Which were some of your favorite sets growing up? I liked the space sets, racing sets and castle sets. I especially remembered building my own starfighter for a class project of mine in grade school.
  2. bassteban

bassteban

I'm OLD school- pre *set* era- we just got a big ass box of square/rectangle/SOME sorta brick shape. I remember how excited I was when we got wheels
  3. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I had a few giant buckets of those, playing with those for hours on end fuelled my love for building and design and is a direct reason why I am doing what I am doing now in life. When I got the sets, I would build them once, then take them apart and redesign them.

lowsound
  4. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

When I was just a lad my favorite was the precursor to Legos, American Bricks.

Also had Lincoln Logs and Erector Sets.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassteban

bassteban

American Bricks 'precursor?' Dunno bout that- Legos have been around like 75 years or something.
  7. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Really? Didn't know that. Never heard of them til early 70s when we bought many many sets for my boy.

But I had American Bricks in the early 50s thru early 60s.
  8. bassteban

bassteban

My Internet is spotty tonight- wiki tells me Legos are from 30s/40s and Am Bricks are *possibly*from the 40s. I vaguely recall being surprised at how long they(Legos)have been around when we visited Legoland in San Diego a few years ago.
  9. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Were those red and could be bent? I think my step grandparents had some of those kicking around that I used to play with when I was visiting them.

lowsound
  10. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

My first set was part of the old Pirate series. It was a mini raft kit that came with a guy and a shark (IIRC). I remember it being my first set because I actually ended up building it during a blackout, and I had to use a flashlight to see all the parts :) My favorite set of all time is the Star Wars Master's Set Tie Interceptor. You can even put a Star Wars action figure inside of it!
  11. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

My first set was Star Wars themed as well...the Millenium Falcon :D

Man, did I have fun with that one...
  12. kingpin2512

kingpin2512

That was my first set as well! :bassist: Always enjoyed legos
  13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I'm too old to remember original sets. I remember there were many many alternative creations.
  14. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I still find it wierd when Americans talk about Lego. Lego is used as a mass noun practically everywhere else. Legos just sounds wierd :p

On topic, I think I still have some Lego in my parents' attic :D
  15. BenBL

BenBL

We had little kids over at my house a couple of weeks ago and my mom got my old Lego sets out for them to play with, needless to say I had more fun than they did
  16. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

I have a big red bucket of them passed down from the '70s. I never really had any sets til later but I used to build all sorts of stuff just from the loose bricks. I'd kind of like to play with them again.
  17. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

Thank god it's not just me. There is no such thing as Legos. It is LEGO.

I had Lego as a kid through the 70's, then for my 10th birthday I got my first set of 'technical' Lego. A racing car with gears, rack and pinion steering and suspension. It looks pretty tame to some of the stuff you can get these days. I even treated myself to a big JCB digger a few years back.

Nowadays, Lego seems to just cash in on franchise after franchise...
  18. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

19. ggvicviper

LOL! Im not super old school, but when the licensed stuff started coming out like Star Wars, I was already in high school.

I'm a child of the late 80s thru mid 90s. I had a big red box of basics, where all of the stuff would end up going once I took it apart/put them away.

We Americans refer to LEGO not only as the company, but as the individual bricks we used to build, hence why we often pluralize it.
  20. ggvicviper

Sort of... I certainly see what you're saying there. I was never cool wight the licensed stuff so much or the other stuff like the video games and all the nonsense they came out with to cash in.

The older stuff was more imaginative, but they still have some of the older themes in new sets. I had to buy a space set for my gf's nephew Christmas Eve. It was kinda cool looking too.
  21. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

I think that legos may be the natural treatment for breakdown! At least for me! ;)