1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Lemur Music FlyAway Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by musicmaxbezanso, Jul 27, 2013.

1. musicmaxbezanso

musicmaxbezanso

Hi all,

I recently started looking into the possibility of travel basses and found Lemur Music's offerings to be of particular interest. I've searched the forums for info, and have come up with a few things of limited use and not much else. What I'm wondering is if anyone has experience playing on one of the Lemur Music basses (specifically the Venice or the Tosca) that has been fitted with a removable neck?

I don't plan on buying sight unseen or anything, but I do want to collect as much information as possible before I even consider taking a bass out on trial or going out west to play one. Incidentally, if anyone in the Chicago or New York area happens to have one of these and would be amenable to letting me play it for a little while, I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks,

Max

2. johninmemphis

johninmemphis Supporting Member

Bumping as I am interested as well.

3. Ross Kratter

Ross Kratter Supporting Member

I tried one last year at Bass Player Live! and was blown away by the sound and feel of it, so much so that I'm intending on buying one soon. I think it was a Liberty Belle or a Tosca but I'm not entirely sure. It's a real bass; the removable neck (in my opinion) has no effect on the sound of the instrument. I would definitely recommend getting one if you're doing a lot of fly-in gigs.
    I think it's important to note that Stanley Clarke has been touring with his FlyAway bass for at least a few years now; he doesn't use his other bass for anything but recording anymore. Stanley and Lenny White bought a FlyAway for Ron Carter's birthday last year, and Mr. Carter has started using his pretty frequently now.

4. Treyzer

Treyzer

I have a Venice and it's a good product, solidly built. Jerry and the whole staff are very helpful. They are there to help. You should check them out!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bass81800

bass81800

Stringbassist, If I were in your shoes, I would take it back to Lemur. They do stand behind their products. Their current luthiers are amazing.

7. labravajazz

labravajazz

I tried sending a message using the link on the fly away bass page and never a reply. Three times now I've tried.
    Guess they must be too. Busy to answer emails?

8. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Disclosures:
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    That doesn't sound like them at all, it is probably an email forwarding issue. Sometimes maintaining multiple websites is like herding cats. Call them up, I'm sure they'd like to know about the email sitch.

9. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Jerry died a couple of days ago.

10. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Jerry Buffa passed away a couple of days ago and I bet that's caused some disruption at the store.

Try them at: lemur AT lemurmusic.com

11. labravajazz

labravajazz

Oh, so sorry to hear that, I had no idea and I feel terrible to have mentioned this now.