1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Leon Slyvers III in Latest BP

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

The newest issue, with Iron Maiden's Steve Harris on the cover, features an analysis of the song "Misdemeanor," a hit for Leon's brother, Foster. The in teresting thing is Leon wrote the song, but Henry Davis actually played the part. I forgot Misdemeanor existed, and certianly never listened to the bassline way back when. The interesting thing is that Davis' interpretation sounds much more like a Jamerson sort of line than the kind of things that Leon Slyvers would play himself when he actually got to play in the studio.
  2. tal213

tal213

woww!! looking forward to that article. i was very impressed with Leon's writing when he was a youth. i have the first 3 albums the Sylvers did on MGM and the writing is way beyond his years. he is a very talented cat. and a mean bassist... had no idea Henry Davis played "Misdemeanor" i have been reading up on a few things Mr. Davis has played on lately. sad to hear he passed away last January...RIParadise King Henry Davis.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Have you guys checked this piece out? It is amazing that Leon Sylvers came up with so many cool basslines while he was still a teenager. It is always humbling to realize that thirty or more years later, I am learning, practicing, and jamming along with lines that creative people wrote when they were less than half my current age!

It is also interesting to note that Sylvers first "good" bass was a Fender Telecaster. I always remember him playing a Rickenbacker 4001 when he was with Dynasty.
  4. millsbass5

millsbass5

Uh-oh. I must've brain-farted. I thought you was talkin' about this guy below. And, I thought "This guy don't play bass!"

5. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Great article loved that group
  6. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

what a GREAT song
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Quite proud of myself that I was able to play that after two passes with the sheet music. Here I thought my sight reading had gone to hell after a period of neglect.
  8. Dr. Cheese

I am jealous of your skill!;)
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well if it makes you feel better, I spent a hell of a lot of time working on it...I certainly didn't spring from the womb being able to do it ;)
  10. Dr. Cheese

If I have learned nothing else, it's that real musical skill is the product of lots of hard work, no matter how talented the player.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Word. As they say, 10,000 hours...
  12. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

My father taught the older kids junior high science at Markham Jr High so all of their albums made it into the house collection. The big story was that Foster was the first of all of the next Michael Jackson's. When I got the copy of the magazine I searched for the download and it sounds like they recorded from my LP on my 30 year old budget record player. makes me want to buy a tribute version to enjoy it today. A song under 3:00, it was a different era.

While I am dropping names we lived a couple of blocks from The Brothers Johnson for a while
  13. Dr. Cheese

I was just looking on iTunes, and two great Leon Sylvers III produced downloads are available that I have not seen before: The Look by Shalamar and Adventures in the Land of Music by Dynasty. On the Shalamar album, Foster Sylvers and Stanley Clarke are also on bass. Stanley Clarke is on the title song, The Look, and it is the one time that he conventionally slaps that I genuinely love how he sounds.
  14. funkboy5

funkboy5 19mm + 35" = :-) Bass'd on a true story Supporting Member

"The Look" by Shalamar is the Bomb. I remember when in came out I just arrived at my new assignment at Misawa Air Base Japan. Played it to death in my ride. Must have listened to at least once a day for 3 years. Nice grooves, nice tunes, a very forward looking album. Loved it.

Leon Sylvers is a bad cat. I think he's playing bass on The Whispers "And the beat goes on", a killer track.

Check out this great interview with "The Whispers" discussing Leon Sylvers.

15. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

The Look is another case of remembering the album because of the singer for me. It prestaged Jody Watley becoming a singer and not just a dancer behind Howard Hewitt as I saw her as before I remember her being nice to me when I was a scrub in high school and she was a local celeb senior for being perhaps the featured dancer at that time on Soul Train.
  16. Dr. Cheese

It was Leon Sylvers playing on As the Beat Goes On.
  17. Dr. Cheese

A woman who truly has it going on usually has no need to trip. I was a pretty big Jody Watley fan myself.
  18. funkboy5

funkboy5 19mm + 35" = :-) Bass'd on a true story Supporting Member

Got to check out this clip which also discusses Leon Sylvers as a producer. Will crack you up too.

19. Dr. Cheese

That is a great story. It was posted here maybe two years ago, but it is fun to hear that clip again!:)
  20. phillybass101

phillybass101 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars
    Classic Leon Sylvers bassline=Here I am by Dynasty. He's cuttin those notes y'all