Leon Wilkeson... respect!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SasquatchDude, Jan 18, 2014.

1. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

Title pretty much sums it up. :smug:

Never paid much attention to Skynyrd, and ignorantly dismissed their basslines as monotone, root-centered droning... until the other day when my classic rock playlist turned up Gimme Three Steps. What a grooving line, with really cool little fills!

That got me going on a Skynyrd kick, and I realized a lot of the stuff Wilkeson did was actually pretty forward and driving in the mix. "I Ain't the One" and "You Got That Right" are a couple other great examples... even found a live version of Crossroads where he gives Jack Bruce a helluva run for his money!

Any more Talkbass love for this groovin' southern rocker? For a band that magnitude, I found barely a handful of threads on him.

Seems a Jazz and various Thunderbirds (including a Fenderbird supposedly acquired from The Ox) were his staples.

2. Rick Powell

Rick Powell

I liked the way Ed King played the bass parts that many people attribute to Leon Wilkeson.

3. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

True... didn't he play bass on the whole first album or something like that?

4. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

Thats what I had heard also, but take a look at some of their live stuff & watch Leon, he is rippin' it up:bassist:

"I know a little" has a cool bass line as well.

5. Register to disable this ad