1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

Leon Wilkeson... respect!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SasquatchDude, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Title pretty much sums it up. :smug:

Never paid much attention to Skynyrd, and ignorantly dismissed their basslines as monotone, root-centered droning... until the other day when my classic rock playlist turned up Gimme Three Steps. What a grooving line, with really cool little fills!

That got me going on a Skynyrd kick, and I realized a lot of the stuff Wilkeson did was actually pretty forward and driving in the mix. "I Ain't the One" and "You Got That Right" are a couple other great examples... even found a live version of Crossroads where he gives Jack Bruce a helluva run for his money!

Any more Talkbass love for this groovin' southern rocker? For a band that magnitude, I found barely a handful of threads on him.

Seems a Jazz and various Thunderbirds (including a Fenderbird supposedly acquired from The Ox) were his staples.

2. Rick Powell

Rick Powell

Jan 4, 2014
    Ottawa IL
    I liked the way Ed King played the bass parts that many people attribute to Leon Wilkeson.

3. True... didn't he play bass on the whole first album or something like that?

4. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

May 11, 2008
    Thats what I had heard also, but take a look at some of their live stuff & watch Leon, he is rippin' it up:bassist:

"I know a little" has a cool bass line as well.

5. Sponsored by: