lesser mid voiced ampeg replacement tubes for V4BH

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sandwich5027, Mar 26, 2014.

1. sandwich5027

sandwich5027 Banned

The tubes are too middy...it's not the cab as its not mid voiced cab....I would like warmer more scooped sound rather than strong mids....If any of you have tried a few any suggestions would help!
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Have you tried turning the mids down?
  3. Salamenster

Salamenster

Aren't Ampeg cabs scooped? Get an ampeg cab. Or a fender amp.
  4. sandwich5027

sandwich5027 Banned

The Eden cab I picked was non mid voiced cab...I like the cab..I keep midrange at 1.5 or 8 o'clock ish on dial and anything more sounds too much....The problem is when I turn mid to 0 or off then turn it to 2 on dial it's already a full blast of midrange...it's like all or nothing
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't say either of those companies cabs are scooped, but I have not played their entire product lines. Epifani has a scooped voicing but personally it just makes more sense to get a flat response cab and send it a mid-scooped tone. Also, OP I believe you are the first person I have ever heard describe a mid-scoop as warm. I guess everything is in perception.
  7. sandwich5027

sandwich5027 Banned

Normally Eden xlt cabs are mid bumped..I have xst which is NOT mid bumped..
  8. sandwich5027

sandwich5027 Banned

Haha...well I said this before as this is my ears perception...

Scooped more smooth sounding....anything with mids that are easily heard and present are too honky...sounds too fake...but when I scoop mids I don't turn mid completely off...As that sounds awful....to my ear it's a fine line between scooped and too much mids
    But I'll never associate smooth sound and lots of mids ever...cause its just not
  9. Salamenster

Salamenster

If you've ever played a p/flats you'll know otherwise. ^^
  10. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

What tubes are in the amp now?
  11. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

And are they the tubes that the amp was designed for? In other words, has somebody swapped a 12AY7 for a 12AX7 (for example).

To my (not so golden) ears, differences between tubes of the same kind are subtle (at best). Pull out a Chinese 12AX7, stick in an expensive NOS Mullard 12AX7, frankly to my ears there's not going to be that much difference. Some-- but not the kind of mind-altering experiences that some of the audiophile folks rave about. Of course, if they've just spent $100 on a tube, they expect it to sound so much better than that $12 import.

And incidentally I do have old Mullards in my early '70's V4. I bought them new a couple of decades ago--back before the NOS tube craze caught on. I also have some Amperex Bugle boys and they haven't brought me to the musical nirvana that some folks achieve, either.
  12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Try some NOS JAN Philips 12AX7's and RCA Clear top (side getter) 12AU7's I also love NOS Sylvania 12AX7's.
  13. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    [​IMG]
    My son has an old v4b and this little old yamaha box works wonders in just taming and rounding out little midrange humps.
    Have used them to great effect in studio in the past to get old Marshall JCM 800 guitar amps to work really, really well as a bass amp.:bassist:
    PS I don't think you will get that much of an EQ change out of a tube swap alone although trying out a few Telefunken 12ax7's as they are about the least mid forward of the bunch in comparison with say Mullard or Brimar which can be a bit mid forward. RCA and GE can be a lot warmer in tone than most 12ax7's but these I differences are very, very slight.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would agree pretty much totally here. Now I have done a tube swap where I didn't like the change I got and went back to the stock JJ's in my Heritage SVT-CL, but it was quite subtle and more of a case of me nitpicking because I could.

Instead, I might tell you to take a look at the ultra hi and lo switches and see if activating one or the other gets you closer to your scoopy thing.
  15. InsanityAmps

InsanityAmps Supporting Member

I don't think you're going to get what you want by replacing tubes unless yours are totally shot. Did you try keeping the mids down and cranking bass and treble up?
  16. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Swapping tubes for a different name brand won't make a significant difference. You could try running a parametric EQ in front or some other sort of tone shaping device to tailor its sound. Otherwise, just try to work the EQ. Here's some recommended settings from the manual:

http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/40192/ampeg-v4bh.html?page=6
  17. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Baer Amplification
    +1 on the previous comments. Providing the correct tubes are in the amp now and they are all operating within specs, installing different tubes usually results in fairly subtle difference in tone. If you are not happy with the mid presence of your amp, I highly doubt changing tubes is going to make much of a difference.
  18. DogBone

DogBone

What cab are you using now?

Without knowing much else and flying blind, I'd suggest auditioning a cab like an Ampeg 410hlf or similar that has a good amount of low end and eq'ing your mids down to taste.

I agree with the previous comments about doubting tube rolling is going to drastically change any mid response, although if anyone has had any luck doing such a thing I'd be interested to hear about it.
  19. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

Your problem has an easy fix.
    Turn the gain to a minimum and the volume to a maximum or close to it.
    Roll back your mids to 11 o'clock.
    I think the power tubes and preamp tubes shipped in this amp are actually quite good.
    If you are still not happy with the tone, try the following. You should get a subtle improvement.

Try a combination of Tung-Sol 12AX7 and Sovtek 12AX7LPS.
    You can also try two of the same tube of either one. If I had to go that route I would try 2 Sovtek LPS but I think the combination works well.
  20. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I've had a few experiences where there was a significant change, but my 70s V4 is one of them. Swapping a out very bright mullard from V1 for an old RCA I had laying around was a huge difference in that amp. Much more roundness to the RCA. But yeah, more often than not the changes are very subtle.
  21. pgk

pgk

really doubt a tube swap will give you what you want, and those stock JJ's are damn nice tubes. try something that won't cost you anything: try running your mids from 8-11:00 max and everything else to taste. that mid control has a lot of range, don't be afraid to knock it back. my micro vr typically runs with a (modded) 67 B15T cab, a box that inherently brings out a lot of mids due to it's small size. but i can get that rig thumping Quite nicely by rolling the mids waaay back. i'd be even happier if i had the mid switch like your amp has. i roll with a P strung with LaBella flats