1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Lesson #1

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by 2blackrooks, Dec 28, 2013.

1. 2blackrooks

2blackrooks

Hi all, received a Harley Benton PB 20 BK standard series http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbp120bk_ebass.htm
    For xmas. Never played an instrument before but always wanted to so now at 45 I'm going for it.
    Anyone recommend what 1st lesson to start with or a good you tube channel to learn from??
  2. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Congrats on the new bass and new direction!

Look up Scott's Bass Lessons on Youtube, or on his web page. Great lessons and easily explained.

Also, this site helps a lot. Starts from the very beginning
    www.studybass.com/

Have fun!
  3. RxFunk

RxFunk

Scott's bass lessons, can be found on YouTube, or directly from his site.
  4. paparoof

paparoof Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I drank the fEARful koolaid and I'm damn glad I did.
    What do you listen too? Start there.
  5. Dug2

Dug2

6. Dug2

Dug2

7. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

If you are old school, like myself, and like to hold an instruction book; Bass Guitar for Dummies is a great get started book.

Starts off with how to hold it, how to tune it, how to get sound from it and how to mute some of the unwanted sound. Plus the charts and graphs are some of the best. http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/bass-guitar-for-dummies-cheat-sheet.html

Yes www.studybass.com is a must. I also had trouble at first knowing which scale had what notes and what chords would be in each key. This site will get you through that. http://www.guitar-chords.org.uk/chords-key-c.html

Welcome to the low end.
  8. fearceol

fearceol

As you are starting off from absolute scratch, I would add my recommendation for both "Studybass" and "Bass Guitar for Dummies".

You Tube videos are good but the one draw back IMO is a lack of continuation. There are lots of beginner clips but few have a follow up. Perhaps later, when you have the basics down, you can delve into You Tube. The great thing about the above book and site, is that all the lessons are in chronological order, i.e. each lesson builds on the previous one so there are no learning gaps.

Dont neglect technique. Learning good left and right hand technique at the start will not alone have you playing to the best of your ability, but will also help you to avoid possible injury problems later on.

Best of luck. :)
  9. 2blackrooks

2blackrooks

Cheers guys
  10. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

I recommend the Hal Leonard Complete Bass Method series by Ed Friedland. Ed is also a member here on TB. Awesome teacher, player, and wealth of all things bass related.
  11. Rick Robins

Rick Robins