Lessons in the North Austin Area

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Reddog01, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Reddog01

Reddog01

I am a beginner who lives in the North Austin area (Georgetown) and I am looking for someone to point me in the right direction. Any suggestions?
  2. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

I would humbly suggest that you contact Ed Friedland - send him an email, (it's on his website.) Ed is a great guy, a wonderful teacher and he will definitely point you in the right direction. :)

We're talking Austin here, but I used to drive down from Killeen; Georgetown is a hop and a skip.

Edit: If you are looking for someone more local, I'd also suggest heading over to Ken'z Guitars there in Georgetown and ask their repair guy, Dennis, who is a fellow bassist and knows a lot of the area musicians/instructors.
  3. Reddog01

Reddog01

Thanks for the suggestion. I did talk with Ken and Dennis. Here's the deal. I have a degree in music, I have played guitar, sax, bass trombone, and was a voice major. I taught high school music theory. I really am not looking for someone who will work with me on triad spelling or things like that. I know that it is up to me to learn where the notes are on the fretboard, and I'm working on that right now. I'm not looking for a guitar player who has a bass and plays it sometimes at church. I'm looking for a person who's primary ax in bass. I want to find someone who will help me not step on the many land mines out there, such as poor right hand plucking, moving my left hand thumb out of place, etc. that will hold me back later in my playing. When I talked with Dennis at Ken'z, he told me that he would have to think about how to teach me, and that he would get back to me. That was a month and a half ago. I didn't know that Friedland was local, so I'll check it out. Thanks for the lead