Let the Debate Begin: I Swear I Hear Geddy Using A PICK Here! SIGNALS Content

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Josh Thatguy, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    As I sit here at work with Rush playing on my office computer as I type, I SWEAR I hear a pick at :51 to 1:07 right here

Also, at 2:07 to around 2:21, the same line, the same thing that caught me off guard.

I'm a Geddy fan from waaaay back, and I'm very aware of his technique(s) that often resemble a picked sound, but damn if that doesn't sound exactly like some help from plastic.... either that, or some crazy-long fingernails that would get in the way elsewhere in the song...

Compressed sounds, I know, but it's got me wondering......

2. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Geddy does have a damaged fingernail that he uses as a pick. Having said that, there is no shame in using a pick if the song calls for it. The best bassist knows the best tool for the best job at the best time etc etc...

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

No way he would stoop to using a pick I mean no way can you imagine?

4. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

I've got my Rush CDs and a cannister of gasoline here... just waiting for the confirmation.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Josh Thatguy

Disclosures:
    Not trying to start the PICK VS NO PICK WARS (oh god... the humanity.....) here... hahaha.....

but my reaction just now when I heard what I thought I heard was such that I dropped my stale leftover xmas truffle when I *thought* I heard----- no WAY!!!--- a PICK in a Rush tune!!!
    Could just be my exhaustion coupled with my mental state (debatable as is), but it was kind of funny. It was one of those W*T*F moments.

I'm NOT knocking pick players at all. I've said it before, i'll say it again, Lemmy is God, Geddy is Jesus, so I have the utmost respect for either technique, and I use both techniques myself depending on the music and mood.

7. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

Its a pick. Get over it.

8. Josh Thatguy

Disclosures:
    I promise, any apparent stress in my postings is because of incorrect interpretation on part of the reader (you). I'm "over it" before it began. I was smiling when I started this thread, expecting it to cause a rift in the universe of bassdom!
    I just thought it was quite funny, after listening to Rush since my adolescent years until current, through all these decades of Geddy idolozing, and being a part of the Geddy-Has-Never-Used-Or-Recorded-With-A-Pick believers, I "picked" out a plectrum sound on sh*tty little Altec computer speakers while I sat at my desk in the middle of the night typing. A revelation, and in certain Rush camps and circles and solar systems, a REVOLUTION, by god!

Wish I had a way to insert that audio line from the Seinfeld episode in which Jerry gets busted, but not really, picking his nose at the stop light.
    "It wasn't a pick, it wasn't a pick...!"

But in this case, methinks it WAS a pick.

Also, at 3:05, it sounds like a different bass track was inserted, with a subtle but very distinctive octave effect in the signal.
    You learn something new every day. The pressure's off for the rest of this Monday for me.

9. Mike M.

Mike M.

10. garak7

garak7 Irritating the Neighbors Since 1964 Supporting Member

Whether it is or isn't, it sure sounds like a pick to me.

11. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

OP is a Type O Negative fan, so I doubt he has a problem with pick players.

12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Now that you mention it I hear a pick also and if I was a betting man I would swear it was a Fender medium.

13. Josh Thatguy

Disclosures:
    +1313

14. Sartori

Sartori

A lot of times I don't think there's much difference in sound, especially with aggressive finger style.

However, the specific partially muted, staccato sound in parts of the track Josh posted sound very characteristic of a pick, to the point that I'm not sure how I'd create that sound with fingers (I use both pick and fingers, myself, so like the OP, it's just an amusing/interesting observation to me, nothing scandalous).

So, in this case, I think it's pretty clear that Geddy used a pick on this song. Or at least for parts of it.

15. Ferret

Ferret

To the ones that feel he doesnt, he does - reason I know, we have one we got from him after using it during R30 tour and snakes and arrows tour.

16. Ferret

Ferret

Oh yes and with right style fingers can be confused with pics. I often get asked if use one but it's just how I shape my finger nails and turn my wrist. Can get both sounds during same song. :)

17. Lessfrets

Lessfrets

No shame in picking. I started seriously using a pick back in '09 when I joined my buddy's surf punk band. I've always been a finger player up until that point though I had used a pick on the odd song here and there. I enjoy using both. I can play really fast with a pick and on days when my fingers are stiff or cold, I can rely on my picking technique to get me through gigs. I even start practicing r&b songs with a pick. I prefer heavy Dunlop flexibles because they have the little rough patches that allow me to hold on without dropping them as Im apt to do.

18. electracoyote

electracoyote

I thought Dusty Hill was a pick player for a long time. Some guys develop a real hardness in their fingers and dig in just right, emulating a pretty convincing pick attack.

19. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Not sure about the studio recording but I have seen him play it live several times and he never used a pick.

20. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

For what it's worth, Geddy's said several times that he's terrible with a pick. He may have used it for a brief passage in the studio. Maybe. But I doubt it.

21. zfunkman

zfunkman

Mr. Lee does NOT use a pick. I've been seeing them in concert for 35 years and I've never seen him use a pick. However, I'd say his tone may sometimes suggest it. That said, it really doesn't matter. I used to play with a pick and played many Rush song in my HS days with a pick. I switched to my fingers 30 years ago and never went back. That said, there is nothing wrong with using a pick. Even through Geddy doesn't use a pick, Rush songs translate very well using a pick. FYI . . . just because YOU use a pick quit trying to validate it by saying Gedy Lee is using a pick because he's not. You need no validation if you use a pick or not. Its all good!