1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

let's build a truss rod!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ILLINOX, Nov 3, 2012.

1. ILLINOX

ILLINOX

ugh... the mexican barebones build is on hold once again. do you think i could get a truss rod here in a reasonable way? so, who's built one? let's brainstorm, shall we?
    i've looked at that popular youtube video and its a great job, but im not going to find that aluminum trench channel.
    plan b?

thanks guy. appreciate all the knowledge and help

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    See Ted McHugh.....the simplest truss rod and used in Fender and Gibson necks since the 50's

3. ILLINOX

ILLINOX

sorry to do this to you, but does anyone have a link? all im finding are tribute pages and salutes to the truss rod, but i havent yet found a page showing how to do one at home.

4. Beej

Beej

For what it's worth, I usually find it simpler overall to just buy a double action these days. Unless I'm rebuilding a truss rod for a repair, I'll just buy one. You can make your own exactly like the fellow above does, but this assumes you have the tools to do it. Not a problem for many of us, but it depends on how you're set up. If you don't already have a tap/die set, you'll benefit in the long run from picking one up...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ILLINOX

ILLINOX

Thanks Beej; the whole point of the Mexican Barebones Build that I'm living for a spell in Mexico; I'm not in my shop (which is in canada) and thanks to Free trade working only one way, it's so expensive to get my parts here, that save for the pickups I will be fabricating every piece.

FYI: to order two truss rods from Stew Mac to here will cost something like $70 and five or six weeks shipping... if it shows up

7. jmorbita

jmorbita

I've been taught to do a one way truss rod out of a threaded rod, nuts and a couple pieces of metal to keep the rod in place. very simple and not many tools needed for the trussrod itself.

not sure if this is what you're looking for though...

8. ILLINOX

ILLINOX

I ended up using a 1/4" threaded rod, coupling, Allen bolt, spring nut, washers, and crazy glue.

Works so far.

Apparently, though, I should use an aluminum square channel too...